Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1178612  by agar

This was kind of surreal. I was at the Wheaton farmer's market this morning and a fresh-looking MTA North (nyc) train with about seven of their single-level cars came cruising on by, presumably on the middle track. If it would have stopped and offloaded passengers, I would have pinched myself, thinking I was having a dream about the TZ episode, "A Stop at Willoughby".

What gives?
 #1178627  by agar

It's so cool to get an explanation for this. Thanks. All my friends like trains too, and none of them believe me.
I must be a budding railfan, because this was the highlight of my week. I appreciate the bilevels a bit more now, because that little train seemed seriously out of place. I can't believe nobody else turned their head. It had such clear MTA Metro-North decals, which obviously do not belong in Chicago. I ride the Metra a heap, and I knew that eventually something interesting besides tractors would turn up on the rails.
 #1178693  by qboy

Keep watching..we've been delivering those cars to the CSX to go east for about the last 6 to 8 months in cuts of 4 car sets. I saw that same train you saw on my outbound trip to Elburn. They may run one maybe once a week or every couple weeks at various times during the day. And you may catch the new Metra electric cars being delivered running on the Geneva Sub occasionally.