Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#694968  by jwhite07

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/18/san.fr ... index.html

Interestingly, the second "file photo" on the CNN web site shows a PCC on the F Line, yet the caption states "two cars similar to this one collided Saturday". In fact, the collision involved Breda LRVs!
SAN FRANCISCO, California (CNN) -- Two light rail transit cars collided Saturday in San Francisco, causing multiple injuries, but none appeared life-threatening, a rail system spokesman said. Medical personnel treat the injured Saturday at West Portal Station, where a light rail car hit another. Medical personnel treat the injured Saturday at West Portal Station, where a light rail car hit another. "Apparently the conductor for one of the trains miscalculated a turn. It's still under investigation right now," a police officer told CNN. He would not provide his name. At least 44 people were injured, a fire official said. None of the injuries was extremely serious, said Leslie Dubbin, administrator for operations at San Francisco General Hospital. "There were no fatalities and everybody looks good."
 #694984  by 3rdrail

Trust me- to members of the general public, a PCC and an LRV are "similiar".
 #695503  by Silverliner II

And to the news media, the cab signal/ATC system on MUNI Metro is "the autopilot".

Not 50 seconds ago, Good Morning America reported that the operator of the striking train may have 'blacked out' prior to the crash and investigators are questioning why the 'autopilot' in his cab was disengaged prior to entering West Portal station.

I also saw it referred to as the 'autopilot' on an AP report in Yahoo's news section as well.
 #699633  by AEM7AC920

You can't drive a train it's on tracks you either operate it or run it.
 #699798  by dieciduej

Silverliner II wrote:And to the news media, the cab signal/ATC system on MUNI Metro is "the autopilot".

Not 50 seconds ago, Good Morning America reported that the operator of the striking train may have 'blacked out' prior to the crash and investigators are questioning why the 'autopilot' in his cab was disengaged prior to entering West Portal station.

I also saw it referred to as the 'autopilot' on an AP report in Yahoo's news section as well.
From people I have talked to the system is cab signaled/ATC length of the subway, but due to the level of service, K, L, M and T lines, the operators put the car in bypass mode when entering the station so that two trains can be at the station at the same time. Bypass is requested and usually authorized to keep the flow going. As for the crash I am not sure if the authorization was given or had it become just normal practice.

JoeD
 #700174  by Silverliner II

dieciduej wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:And to the news media, the cab signal/ATC system on MUNI Metro is "the autopilot".

From people I have talked to the system is cab signaled/ATC length of the subway, but due to the level of service, K, L, M and T lines, the operators put the car in bypass mode when entering the station so that two trains can be at the station at the same time. Bypass is requested and usually authorized to keep the flow going. As for the crash I am not sure if the authorization was given or had it become just normal practice.

JoeD
There is a "T" line now? Where's that one run? Or did they split service off one of the original 5 routes?
 #700609  by Silverliner II

dieciduej wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:There is a "T" line now? Where's that one run? Or did they split service off one of the original 5 routes?
Yes it is the Third St route:

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mroutes/tthirdsvc.htm

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mmaps/documents/KT.pdf

JoeD
Ahhh, thank you!
I've got to get out there and do some major riding someday.....