Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#650141  by CNW5022-A519

I am just wondering if California Trans had any proublems with their MP-36s when they got them and now, I live in the Chicago area and Metra got the first 27 with a free set of gremlons with each of them and have been more proublems since.
 #651128  by DutchRailnut

Kaback9 wrote:They can't be as bad as what we have here in New Jersey. The PL42AC's are crap!
so how many did you run ???
 #651151  by Kaback9

DutchRailnut wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:They can't be as bad as what we have here in New Jersey. The PL42AC's are crap!
so how many did you run ???
None not saying I have but alot of delayed trains I have been on are because of them crapping out at really bad times.
 #651428  by DutchRailnut

Sometimes its not the locomotive Son , but linkage between seat and Throttle.
 #652560  by NJTMatt

I have run many and I can say they run well when they run! But I did have one completely shut down due to some water shorting out a marker light. Would not start and the genius computer could not tell me why! The 1972 Geeps are still more reliable!
 #652587  by BuddSilverliner269

DutchRailnut wrote:Sometimes its not the locomotive Son , but linkage between seat and Throttle.
The linkage between the seat and Throttle???? Do you mean the engineer?????Haha. Im starting to think you dont think highly of NJT engineers????? :wink:
 #652590  by DutchRailnut

Not only a NJT Phenomenon , but any railroad, specially when it involves new locomotives.
Also not always the linkage fault, the railroad buys $4.7 million locomotives but gives the linkage the $0.50 tour.
 #652600  by BuddSilverliner269

DutchRailnut wrote:Not only a NJT Phenomenon , but any railroad, specially when it involves new locomotives.
Also not always the linkage fault, the railroad buys $4.7 million locomotives but gives the linkage the $0.50 tour.
Hahahaha. Thanks Dutch. I needed a good laugh when I 1st woke up.Its definately true....
 #652816  by NJTMatt

Your right, NJT spent months teaching em how to trouble shoot EMDs, but No one knew anything about what the called the space shuttle, or PL42. :)
 #654614  by doepack

lensovet wrote:wow guys, way to hijack the thread.
No kidding. But anyway, any answers to original question? Also, it seems kind of odd that Metrolink would use 888 as the first number assigned to the new units, why wouldn't they have used a whole new block of numbers (i.e., 701, 901, etc.) for these?