Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#202599  by caboose9

Hi,

BART has at least one cupola caboose. I've not seen it, but I've heard it described as "a cupola caboose on a flat car". Does anyone know the number &/or hereitage of this car? Where is it stored when not in use?

Do they have more than one caboose?

Thanks, Roger

#203475  by Alloy

Hi Roger--
There appears to be a BART work train at one maintenanace station on the Fremont line. The location is between Fruitvale and Lake Merritt stations, right at the tunnel entrance where BART goes underground.

At the speed BART goes at that point, details are hard to come by. But I believe this area is visible from city streets--somewhere around the area of Oakland where 10th st. meets 9th ave.

I don't know whether this rare animal you describe actually exists, but this may be its lair if it does.