Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#169919  by fjcaron

Ticket vending machines, pick your route, pay your fare and get your ticket. The automatic entry gates to the station when you insert your ticket, get on your train and that's pretty much it. About the only time I ride BART is when I take my motorcycle for servicing or pick it up since the Dublin stop is across from the dealer that works on it, so its convient.

rail10 wrote:when riding the sfo bart subway are the formalties similar to the washington dc metro?

#169924  by tp49

It is very similar to the DC Metro.
 #169986  by Head-end View

When I last visited S.F. in 2002, BART was having a lot of problems with their ticket-vending machines which were from the 1970's I think. Hopefully that situation has improved since then. Several times I had to get help from the station agents, especially at Daly City if I remember right. The east lines to Pittsburg/Bay Point and to Dublin/Pleasanton are interesting rides. So is the line to S.F. Airport although I think it's mostly tunnel south of Colma. That extension wasn't finished yet when I was there. Also regrettably BART trains are not railfan friendly. You can't see out the front windows like you can on the D.C. Metro. :( That's a bummer, but still a good ride.

#170014  by Phil Hom

BART METRORail
Rohr Rohr
IBM/Cubic Cubic
Regional Regional
70's 70's

#170073  by tp49

All of the stations in the system now have new ticket machines which are more user friendly than the ones they replaced.

#171441  by modorney

Yes, the older machines were pretty tired. I have heard that the magnetic heads in the old machines were exactly the same as those in 8 track tape machines, and the 8 track historical society (yes there is one!) contacted BART for surplus machines.

The new machines are far more reliable and problems are far less frequent.

> You can't see out the front windows like you can on the D.C. Metro. Sad That's a bummer, but still a good ride.

Look for an A car - most of them run out of Richmond (since that's where all 59 A cars are maintained). Richmond - Fremont trains almost always have at least one, as do the Richmond - Daly City / Colma trains. Not all the lines run on Sunday, so plan your railfanning accordingly. A cars often appear on Pittsburg trains, about one out of five has an A car. And, the short-run, turnback commute trains sometimes have A cars, but always are packed, so railfanning mey be difficult.

The A cars have a bigger windshield, since they don't have the inter-car doors, like the C cars. Sometimes, curtains, coats, or tinting block the view, but the trailing cab may be usable for railfanning.

#203279  by Bailey9

Hi!

Is there onboard automated announcements on BART trains?
And where can I find a few samples on the net.

Thanks

#203471  by KANDYMAN

The only automated announcements I've every heard aboard trains are "the doors are closing, please stand clear of the doors." All the stations stops are called out by the train operator. Inside the stations there are a few automated announcements. Usually telling when the next train is going to show up and where its going.

#204008  by Tadman

I noticed in an above post BART was built in the 1970's. If I recall, the Key system was shut down around 1958. Did anyone demand accountability for destroying a similar system fifteen to twenty years before the enormous construction of a whole new system was undertaken? I understand Key System/SP Electric was antiquated, but just having right of way is half the battle.

I'm a big fan of the Bridge Car pics on Don Ross' spot.