Railroad Forums 

• Best EMD Locomotive

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#175347  by USRailFan

PCook wrote:Allen, there were numerous never-builts, some of them are quite fascinating. Sorry you are so far away from us, if you were in the US perhaps you could get to a showing of INSIDE EMD sometime. The program has a segment with a selection of some of the most interesting and memorable never-builts, like the AMT-125 and the SDL45-2.
AMT-125? WTF was that?? Do you have any info on those somewhere?

#200392  by Clean Cab

The best EMD locomotive? A tie between the GP-9 and F-40.

#200415  by LongIslandRRTom

Since somebody revived this thread, I'll also throw in my $0.02...

I've always been fascinated with the end platforms on the SD40-2... They are so spacious (especially those with the large anticlimbers)! They almost look like you can set up a reclined lawn chair on them and sun yourself on a nice day. :P

The high-hood SD40-2s wearing that classy Southern Railways gold-trimmed black-and-white scheme is my all-time favorite.

#200452  by 2spot

Okay then I'll throw my hat in too. Three way tie: GP9, GP38-2 and the SD40-2 . The tunnel motors look the sweetest though.

#200499  by MEC407

Last edited by MEC407 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#200979  by Slobo

FT/F2/early F3: They broke the mold and spelled the beginning of the end for steam.

For modern: kinda like the SD-60/SD-60M and SD-90MAC.

#211108  by Centurylover68

My favorite is the Katy's 1400s. BLH switchers with weird hoods and a 567. Baldwin loks with EMD muscle. Quite a combo.
 #211492  by 2nd trick op

(1) SD-9.....clean lines and no-nonsense power

(2) GP-35.....EMD's best-known second generation diesel

(3) SD-24.....especially the high-nose version Southern put to work on the RatHole Division......EMD paid more attention to locomotive refinement after the first-generation boom than is generally credited

#211553  by LCJ

GP40-2 (in sets of 4) was my favorite hot rod to run on the Water Level main -- especially when first delivered in fresh Conrail colors in 1978 or so.

#211852  by emd_SD_60

Another EMD, hands down, would be the SD45. The V-20's in them alone give me goosebumps. :-)

If I could build a time machine i'd go back to the 1970's when these were all over the systems, from the BN to Santa Fe, Penn Central to Southern Pacific!

#266182  by chicagorails

:-) the oldest engines i see running are gp9 reliable.
:wink: the sd40 is still running strong
:-) gp38 sounds great runs good
:wink: sd70s doing good,time will tell bout them big ones how well they hold up.
:-) gp50 one of the worst i think :(

#270112  by hev

Always liked the SD38-2 and the SD40-2 high nose. The old GP's are cool too...................hey had a sound of their own. Always liked hearing them on a long uphill drag. Sweeeeet........ :wink:

hev :P

#270212  by GOLDEN-ARM

[quote="LongIslandRRTom"]Since somebody revived this thread, I'll also throw in my $0.02...

I've always been fascinated with the end platforms on the SD40-2... They are so spacious (especially those with the large anticlimbers)! They almost look like you can set up a reclined lawn chair on them and sun yourself on a nice day. :P [quote]

Trust me on that one, you certainly can put TWO lawn chairs, and a folding table, while "working" your tour of duty, on the work train, picking up, and dropping off ribbon rails............. :-D

#270711  by conrail_engineer

hev wrote:Always liked the SD38-2 and the SD40-2 high nose. The old GP's are cool too...................hey had a sound of their own. Always liked hearing them on a long uphill drag. Sweeeeet........ :wink:

hev :P
Yes, those un-turbocharged units...with a throaty, pleasing sound.

Never ran a GP-7 or 9...they were gone long before I arrived. But working a yard shift a few months ago...along with the SD-38s, there was a GP-15 around, it was assigned to us.

Now, I had never heard of a GP-15. I'm guessing it was a Conrail rebodied yard unit; the body was typical EMD with the later, angular roof.

It wasn't really that much of a treat to run...not much adhesion, wheels would slip at any move. But...that throaty purr, so different from the whine of the turbocharged units...and it had instantaneous throttle response.

Plus, it had just come from the paint shops and was clean, with ergonomic seats. :wink:

#270755  by MEC407

conrail_engineer wrote:...along with the SD-38s, there was a GP-15 around, it was assigned to us.

Now, I had never heard of a GP-15. I'm guessing it was a Conrail rebodied yard unit; the body was typical EMD with the later, angular roof.
EMD came out with the GP15 series in 1976, primarily to compete with the GP7 and GP9 rebuild programs going on at many railroads at that time.

CNW and SLSF were the major buyers initially, followed by CR and MP, who bought the lions share of them.

In 1982 EMD came out with the GP15T. CO and AN were the only buyers.

Specs:

GP15-1:
Built 1976-1982
310 built
12-645E supercharged
1500 HP
D32 generator

GP15AC:
Built 1982
30 built
12-645E supercharged
1500 HP