Railroad Forums 

• Dual Control Stand Lcomotives

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#112390  by SD Shortline

What railroads with SD40 or SD40-2's had daul control stands and were there any other 6 axle EMD's with this feature?

Also how many were so equipped?

These forum have discussed just about everything about dual control stands except what locomotives and railroads had them.

Thanks for any info...

SD Shortline

#112413  by CSX ENG

Some BN SD9's had them.....

#112468  by BlackDog

A number of years ago the WC leased a bunch of ex NW SD35's that had them, though when we got them the independant brake was blanked off on one side, we could only use them for short hood operation. I don't remember them being used in the lead too often, they were not real popular with the crews, due to the lack of space. They would pull though...

#113578  by rdganthracite

The five SD45s that the Reading Company purchased had dual control stands. They had the "pushed out" cabs just like the cabs on the GP38s that Pennsylvania Reading Seashore Lines had.

#113587  by emd_SD_60

rdganthracite wrote:The five SD45s that the Reading Company purchased had dual control stands. They had the "pushed out" cabs just like the cabs on the GP38s that Pennsylvania Reading Seashore Lines had.
Yeah, now I can see. Where the windshields/numberboards/headlight are, it's not flush with the rest of the cab. :wink:
(sorry if you have to keep scrolling to the right, there was no way I make them smaller)

ex-ATSF

4 of the Reading SD45's went to CNW (#6558-6561) after their days at Conrail ended, all went to EMD in August of 1986, probably to be traded in on new SD60's.

#116162  by jmp883

Erie Lackawanna SDP-45's #3635 to #3653 were dual-control stand equipped. They were purchased when EL was under Dereco/NW control since dual stands were the norm on diesels purchased by the NW at that time. As most EL fans know, even though they were listed as SDP-45's they were not steam-boiler equipped for passenger service. Instead the extra locomotive length was to accomodate a larger fuel tank to permit non-stop Chicago-New York service.

Even though this is the EMD board EL, through Dereco/NW, also purchased U33C's with dual controls, #'s 3304 through 3315.

Joe P :-D
 #132697  by SOU2645

Some I'm aware of: CB&Q SD9's, N&W SD35's, EJ&E SD38's/SD38-2's (later removed), N&W SD40's and 11 N&W SD40-2's (1625-1635), RDG SD45's, N&W SD45's, EL SDP45's and I have read that EL SD45-2's had them as well but CR removed them.
SOU2645

#132717  by PCook

My recollection of the Erie Lackawanna SD45-2's is that they arrived in Marion from EMD with single control stands. Of course that was 33 years ago and my memory may be failing. :wink:

#133868  by ns2110

What about end cab switchers? I would imagine that the cab is too small, but nine times out of ten, there's always an exception...

#133971  by txbritt

Some Alco T-6's had dual control stand setups in their cabs. The A&M RR had several built this way, and their seemed to be plent of room.

TxBritt

#134310  by mp15ac

If I recall correctly there are two different setups for bidirectional cabs.

First is dual control stands, inwhich there are two seperate control stands on each side of the cab, oriented for the engineer to sit at for the correct forward direction. You have to disable one stand inorder to use the other. Inorder to cross the cab you go through the space between the controll stands. This setup requires no external changes to the cab.

Second is a bidirection control stand which is a big box in the center of the cab. The levers on each side are interconnected with each other, so other than setting the direction that you want to go there is little else to be done to change sides. However, because of the size of the box, the front wall of the cab (in low hood units) has to be built out several inches to allow movement from one side of the cab to the other.

Stuart