• S2 206 in its final resting place

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by airman00

One other point I might make is that, at the time of the "failure", she was a solid 45 years old. Not to mention as well, she was the last of the six alco s-2 switchers still hanging around. The other five were already gone, and #206 was still going strong. Finally the #206 had a problem and maybe she was repairable and the NYS&W still needed her. But maybe they decided that it wasn't worth it to repair a 45 yr. old engine, even though she was "rebuilt" not too long ago, and instead sidelined her until they decided to make a final desicion.

In any event, the reason I am so persistent, is that I was considering starting up an effort to see her running on the rails again. I just didn't want to be an "I love trains" railfan, and sit on the sidelines. Initially I would have said no way, since she had a "blown engine". But on doing some research and digging for clues on her past and the supposed "failure" of the prime mover, I just think something other than a blown engine did her in, and she may still be salvageable. What did her in must've been just enough to not warrant a full repair and instead to sideline her. However...I wanted to get input and feedback, hoping to unlock more clues and thusly to come to a desicion as to whether or not mounting such an effort to get her going is even worth it. After all someone said it's better to be preserved than to be scrapped. it's just a shame she's done.
  by NYS&W142Fan

While the thought of 206 running again is a very good idea and I would like nothing more than see it, I do not think it is going to happen. I do not know the full details of her failure, however, I do know that if she were running, there are very few places where she could be run. For her to be able to run anywhere on a class 1, her trucks would need to be changed out for ones with roller bearings. NS, CSX and the NYS&W do not want equipment running on their lines with friction bearings. Add to that the cost of moving her to a place where you could run would be very high. Most likely she would have to be trucked to where she would run. But who knows if someone were to come along with enough money, anything is possible. I do know that she could find a home on the BelDel. For now let's be happy that she is preserved and that the Maywood Station Group has taken great pride in her cosmetic restoration so that all can see a piece of Susie Q history.
  by airman00

NYS&W142Fan wrote:While the thought of 206 running again is a very good idea and I would like nothing more than see it, I do not think it is going to happen. I do not know the full details of her failure, however, I do know that if she were running, there are very few places where she could be run. For her to be able to run anywhere on a class 1, her trucks would need to be changed out for ones with roller bearings. NS, CSX and the NYS&W do not want equipment running on their lines with friction bearings. Add to that the cost of moving her to a place where you could run would be very high. Most likely she would have to be trucked to where she would run. But who knows if someone were to come along with enough money, anything is possible. I do know that she could find a home on the BelDel. For now let's be happy that she is preserved and that the Maywood Station Group has taken great pride in her cosmetic restoration so that all can see a piece of Susie Q history.
Well, you're probably right. It is at least good that she's preserved. You know what would be nice is to see her running on the lodi branch. I know it's an old out of service line, that's in poor shape as well. But perhaps one of the old sidings there, could be a home for her, and if the railroad built a siding to attach to the "static" siding she's on now, she could be run back to the maywoood station on regular occasions. And if she's running again, perhaps she could be leased back to the suzy-q as needed. I know they store old gondolas on the lodi branch. When needed #206 could be used to take those gondolas where needed and return them when done. It's just a small job, to keep an old girl and a part of history still going. Anyhow that's just an idea.

Getting back...Yes it would take a monumental effort to get her going again.
  by njmidland

Just a few clarifications as there are a lot of incorrect assumptions in this thread. As the NYS&W was slowly decaying into the ground from the 60's on, most of the RS-1's and S-2's were parked at Little Ferry as they failed. The 3 GP18's were adequate to handle the remaining traffic. By the time DO took over the operation in 1980 the only RS-1's that were operating were 238, 240 and 252. None of the S2's were operating. Around 1982-83 DO scrapped all of the derelict units at Little Ferry. 206 was kept as it was deemed to be in not too bad a shape, however some parts were taken from the other S-2's prior to scrapping - most notably the hood from 203. The 206 was rebuilt for use on the then isolated operation between Warwick and Sparta Jct. on the former L&HR. This was a once a week operation (a fan's delight - normally on Saturdays) with typically short trains of 5-6 cars and a caboose (the yellow & black ex-B&O #0121). The unit failed after a fairly short time in service and was replaced by the 252 and later the SW9 #120. It came back to Little Ferry and sat unit the NYS&W bought the 4 GE B40-8's. The 206 was traded into GE along with the two Rahway Valley GE 50 tonners and an ex-Reading RS2. The URHS convinced GE to donate these 4 units to them and I am sure GE was more than happy to do that as they didn't have any value beyond scrap.

If you want to see a very historic S2 in operation stayed tuned - I will be announcing such an effort for one from a railroad closely associated with the NYS&W.
  by airman00

njmidland wrote:Just a few clarifications as there are a lot of incorrect assumptions in this thread. As the NYS&W was slowly decaying into the ground from the 60's on, most of the RS-1's and S-2's were parked at Little Ferry as they failed. The 3 GP18's were adequate to handle the remaining traffic. By the time DO took over the operation in 1980 the only RS-1's that were operating were 238, 240 and 252. None of the S2's were operating. Around 1982-83 DO scrapped all of the derelict units at Little Ferry. 206 was kept as it was deemed to be in not too bad a shape, however some parts were taken from the other S-2's prior to scrapping - most notably the hood from 203. The 206 was rebuilt for use on the then isolated operation between Warwick and Sparta Jct. on the former L&HR. This was a once a week operation (a fan's delight - normally on Saturdays) with typically short trains of 5-6 cars and a caboose (the yellow & black ex-B&O #0121). The unit failed after a fairly short time in service and was replaced by the 252 and later the SW9 #120. It came back to Little Ferry and sat unit the NYS&W bought the 4 GE B40-8's. The 206 was traded into GE along with the two Rahway Valley GE 50 tonners and an ex-Reading RS2. The URHS convinced GE to donate these 4 units to them and I am sure GE was more than happy to do that as they didn't have any value beyond scrap.

If you want to see a very historic S2 in operation stayed tuned - I will be announcing such an effort for one from a railroad closely associated with the NYS&W.
Mr. Stuy, (forgive me if that's not your name) when the #206 ran between warwick and sparta jct. that was in new jersey correct?
I also was curious if you knew more on how she failed since the railroad rebuilt her shortly before the failure. How do you have a prime mover failure shortly after a rebuild? Not to mention she was deemed in halfway decent shape, as you say, thereby warranting an overhaul by NYS&W.

One other question is that she somehow ended up out in PA. around the year 1989? I'm just assuming GE has a plant out there for engines, since she was traded in to them in 1988? Or why was she out there?

Thanks for all the information! :-)
  by cjvrr

airman00 wrote:
I am 36 yrs. old, so back in the 80's I was still a kid. I loved trains back then don't get me wrong but as a kid with family who didn't care for trains like I did, not much I could do. I asked for information on why or how she "failed", to maywood station, but they didn't help much, sorry to say. Anyhow, her stack was capped in 1988, and they don't cap stacks on blown engines, so I still think something is up. Perhaps the engine isn't blown, but whatever was wrong with her, the railroad decided it was too much to fix and let her go. Incidentaly why wait 2 years to retire her if she was gone?
Airman,

I am only 38 years old but have a father that liked to train chase on weekends. My first real chases were following the 206 from Sparta, NJ to Warwick, NY on Saturdays as Tim Stuy posted. It was a great time to be a train chaser.

I will try to get more answers for you at an upcoming Volunteer Railroaders Association meeting. One of the members was part of the Bergen-Rockland NRHS that raised the funds to paint the 206 to the as delivered colors in 1985. He probably has some good info on the failure.

And Tim when the certain "local" S-2 comes home please count me in for a few bucks! The road that it comes from is one of my favorite even though I was born long after its abandonment.

Chris
  by airman00

Thank you for your help. Any info on #206 would be appreciated.
  by oibu

Anyone know why the 206 was up in Binghamton for a whilw ca. 1986 and was later on the LASB at the time of DO's loss of the operating contract in 1989? Seems odd that she would have been in bainghamton after she failed instead of LF, and no logical reason i can see for having it in Honesdale but that's where they had it.
  by cjvrr

At that time all heavy repairs were being performed at Rome Locomotive Works. There were little to no repairs going on in Little Ferry Yard by that time. My guess is it went to Binghamton pending disposition (repair or scrapping).

I know it was in Lackawaxen in July of 1989 because I have a photo hanging on the office wall of me sitting in it. I know it sat there for a while too.
  by airman00

cjvrr wrote:At that time all heavy repairs were being performed at Rome Locomotive Works. There were little to no repairs going on in Little Ferry Yard by that time. My guess is it went to Binghamton pending disposition (repair or scrapping).

I know it was in Lackawaxen in July of 1989 because I have a photo hanging on the office wall of me sitting in it. I know it sat there for a while too.
Hey...any idea why it was in lackawaxen PA.? (just another clue to the puzzle)
  by airman00

It's been awhile so I figured I would ask if anyone else had any info on #206 and her failure.
  by airman00

On another note... Does anyone have a photograph of what the inside of 206's cab currently looks like? Or perhaps when it ran if that's all someone has. I researched the internet and found nothing.
  by NYS&W142Fan

airman00 wrote:On another note... Does anyone have a photograph of what the inside of 206's cab currently looks like? Or perhaps when it ran if that's all someone has. I researched the Internet and found nothing.
Airman00, why not contact the Maywood Station Historical Society and ask them if it would be possible to stop down and take a few pictures? That way you could get a firsthand look and get what you want/need.

www.maywoodstation.com

Just a suggestion.
  by airman00

Stumbled across this old picture of #206 on the web. Had no idea she had gotten that bad. It's nothing short of a miracle that the Suzy-Q was able to get her up and running again after she looked like this.

http://www.newenglandrailfans.com/apps/ ... d=92517232

Hope that link works. How in the world did she get that bad?
  by airman00

That link doesn't seem to work.

I apologize. I'm not sure how to link photo's. I'll figure it out and try again.

newenglandrailfans.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=92517232

For some reason the site doesn't seem to want to link. So I'll let you know it was New england railfans (.com and all that other stuff) (new england railfans all one word)

Sorry about that.
Last edited by airman00 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.