Railroad Forums 

• New B23-7s

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#402230  by thebigham

From the NYS&W Yahoo Group:

Once again,the PW2212,2213 and the 2201 have been moved from the rear of the enginehouse to the front,all receiving a white patch on the fuel tank that states "DO NOT FILL".

While the 2212 and the 2213 have their markings painted out,the 2201 is still in full PW lettering. All stacks have been capped. Talking to enginehouse personal....look for these units to leave the property any day now,headed to the SUSIE-Q.

According to talk around .....the 2212 needs help, 2213 is runnable and somewhat strong and the 2201....well it runs....

Kevin C W.F.P.T.
The Dispatcher

#412209  by gawlikfj

Why did the NYSW get rid of their engines for the junk they got from the P&W ?

#412377  by washingtonsecondary

The B40's leases were up and they didn't want to renew them. From what I understand, they didn't have the tractive effort desired for Sparta mountain. The SD70's are on (permanent) lease to the I&O with little to no chance of coming back.

#412385  by RichM

And this topic has been covered over and over and over... check many of the older threads.

The main theme is that a regional railroad that no longer ships a significant volume of time-sensitive freight that may require or benefit from run-through power, has no need to buy new locomotives.

#412387  by blockline4180

washingtonsecondary wrote:The B40's leases were up and they didn't want to renew them. From what I understand, they didn't have the tractive effort desired for Sparta mountain. The SD70's are on (permanent) lease to the I&O with little to no chance of coming back.

Yeah, like the tunnel motors or the alco's and Ge's they have now can do any better!

#412986  by RailBus63

New locomotives on the NYSW are the exception, not the rule. The B40's were bought back in the heady days when Rich stole the stack train business out from under Conrail's nose. I'm not sure why they bought the SD70's - maybe they got a great deal on them and knew they could lease them out profitably if they didn't have use for them. Otherwise, Susie-Q has been a rolling locomotive museum since the 1980's.