Railroad Forums 

• Syracuse Branch excursions Oct. 14 & 15, 2006

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#300615  by cjvrr

Some of you may remember I am part of the speeder group that runs trips on the NYS&W in NJ and NY. We held a nice trip on the Utica Branch on Sept. 16th. Several people on this list joined us and helped flag crossings in exchange for a ride on the cars. It worked out well, and they had a good time.

Well on October 14th and 15th we are running the Syracuse Branch. Both days will begin in Cortland, NY adjacent to the recycle center on the former Lehigh Valley Branch. Saturday we are runnning toward Binghamton, Sunday toward and into Syracuse. Round trip track mileage both days is around 70 miles.

We had planned on running to Syracuse on Saturday / Chenango Bridge Sunday but last week the NYS&W informed us that there is a passenger train running from Cortland both days also. Saturday they are running to Syracuse and Sunday to Binghamton.

So if you are in the area or are trackside that weekend you should have plenty of different stuff to see. If you can help us flag crossings one day we should be able to get you a seat in motorcar the other. I know of several people that will have space.

Chris Vitz
President, Volunteer Railroaders Association

#302352  by amoreho1

what time will you guys be starting

#302591  by cjvrr

aaron,

Set on of the equipment begins at 7:30am. Departure time is 9am after the safety meeting. The RR pilot will call the dispatcher to take the branch out of service around 7am and will call again to get permission from same to depart.

15 speeders signed up so far, expect one or two more to sign up prior to that weekend.

Chris

#302770  by Steve F45

where do you guys get these speeders. I was browsing around rrpicturearchives.com and saw a bunch of you guys up on cohochton,ny.

#303027  by cjvrr

2005VDub,

Check out the NARCOA website;

http://www.narcoa.org/

or Railspeeders;

http://www.railspeeders.com/

Look in the For Sale sections on both those sites. Once you get a speeder then you need to join and pay for the insurance policy with NARCOA.

You can also see the schedule for trips on both sites. Trips run nationwide, in Canada and Mexico. Years ago (like 20 or more) the railroads were literally giving away speeders for $50.00 or less. I know of one story where an individual got a gondola full or cars from Chessie for $10 each. Production in the major companies like Fairmont were in the tens of thousands of units. Today I would dare say NONE of the major railroads have the smaller speeders left. All have been auctioned off long ago or sent to the scrap yard. As you can see on those sites prices for one in poor shape are in the $1000 plus range. Restored they go for $3,000 and up.

The Volunteer Railroaders Association owns four speeders. Two are compliant with NARCOA regulations and are available for rental at $25 per day to any VRA member as long as they have the NARCOA insurance. I actually rented the Fairmont MT-19 (2 man car) for the Utica Branch trip last month. The other rentable car is a Woodings CBL (4 man car).

The other two cars we own are a 1930's Lehigh and New England Fairbanks Morse Model 40B which is currently being restored, and a 1960's Fairmont A-5 (big track gang car) which is set up for brush cutting.

If you are interested and can make it to a local trip, you can probably find a seat on one of the cars. We will probably be running a trip on the BR&W next spring as well as a trip on the NYS&W Southern Division sometime next year. Work days for brush clearing will also be coming up on the Middletown & New Jersey where we store and test ride our cars.

Chris
http://www.vratrips.org/

#303393  by Steve F45

I'de definitely be interested in the trip on NYSW's souther division. That is almost a definite. I was just checking out the narcoa site. I really couldn't believe the prices' for some of those speeders. I guess its like a classic chevy/ford, prices go up over time.

#304802  by Railhead

Hi
I am unsure of the course of the tracks in this area
does anyone have a map
so I can see where the tracks are
to observe or help out
Bob

#304909  by cjvrr

Railhead,

I am not at all familiar with that area of NY, but the railroad follows Route 11 most of the way between Cortland and Whitney Point and then follows Route 79 to Chenango Forks. North of Cortland Route 11 also follow the tracks until you reach Tully, NY then you need to turn east on Route 80 and then north of Apulia Road that gets you near the outskirts of Syracuse. I used Google Maps to get that info.

Here are the directions to the actual set on location in Cortland, NY;

From Binghamton and Points South;
Take Interstate 81 toward Syracuse, New York. At Exit 11 bear left onto SR -13 (Clinton Street), 0.2 miles. Continue South on Pomeroy Road, 0.6 miles. Turn right (west) onto US-11 (SR-41), 0.3 miles. Turn left (South) onto Pendleton Street, 0.2 miles to the railroad crossing near the County Recycling Center. The set on will be a small dirt crossing outside the fence of the Recycling Center. Parking will be adjacent to the tracks.

From Syracuse and Points North;

Take Interstate 81 toward Binghamton, New York. At Exit 11 bear right onto SR -13 (Clinton Street), 0.2 miles. Continue South on Pomeroy Road, 0.6 miles. Turn right (west) onto US-11 (SR-41), 0.3 miles. Turn left (South) onto Pendleton Street, 0.2 miles to the railroad crossing near the County Recycling Center. The set on will be a small dirt crossing outside the fence of the Recycling Center. Parking will be adjacent to the tracks.

Chris