Railroad Forums 

• Outlook for 2005 for the NYSW from Walter Rich, CEO

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#107027  by rcbsd45

Progressive Railroading magazine asked numerous railroad executives, both freight and passenger, their outlook and challeneges for the coming year. Reprinted below is the response given by Walter Rich, which can be found in the current issue of Progessive Railroading. Other respnses can also be found at:

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/

Walter Rich, president & CEO, New York, Susquehanna & Western Railway
The year ahead:

We've had a great year in ‘04, our revenue and carloads are up about 25 percent -- we see continued growth in ’05. We’re successfully converting markets from truck to rail; we're penetrating the construction debris market and are picking up new distribution customers, like BOC Gas Co. We want to divert long-haul truck to long-haul rail --we connect with NS, CSX and CPR, so we can provide long-haul service to customers. We want permanent conversions, not temporary ones--permanent ones will justify the capital we invest to fix up our property.

Challenges:
We're like a rubber band stretched tight -- we're short on locomotives, train crews and real estate to support new infrastructure. We're doing our best to address these issues. We've expanded some yards, we're hiring now and will hire more people next year, and we're going to acquire another 10 locomotives, high-horsepower, six-axle units. I’m not sure if we're going to do that with operating leases or by purchasing.

Legislation:
We've had a good year by getting the tax credits and the repeal of the diesel fuel tax. The IRS is forming regulations for the tax credits. In the short term, we need to make sure the regulations match the intent of Congress, and the tax credits are only for three years and only provide a drop in the bucket for what short lines need. So we have to work to extend the credits.

#107049  by Lackawanna484

It's interesting that Mr Rich mentions tax credits. There's a considerable disconnect between the length of time a locomotive lease runs, usually 15 years, and the tax credits available.

For many years, the NYSW's strategy was to buy junkers, patch 'em up and keep them running. If he's considering tax credits, he's prob also looking at depreciation, which means either new locomotives, or significantly reconditioned older units. Or, a lease of newer/new units from somebody who can use the credits, like FURX or GE or other lenders.

#107062  by rcbsd45

I found the tax credit item of interest as well. Is he referring to property taxes on the local level, or taxation in general? While most people will likely pick up on the locomotive situation mentioned in his remarks, it should also be noted how he mentions the tax situation and all that comes with that. NY State has (I believe) the highest level of taxation against the railroads in the country, and while its all nice and good to be able to run all these trains and such, the tax burden can also be a real problem despite all the successes that the average person sees trackside in the form of longer trains and such.

#107128  by ANDY117

Wonder what kind of 6-axle power...

Tax

#107247  by JoeCollege

not sure if property taxes are at issue here- NYSW pays no taxes on the ND lines and likely won't in the future.

No idea what they pay in Jersey.
 #107261  by Lackawanna484

JoeCollege wrote:not sure if property taxes are at issue here- NYSW pays no taxes on the ND lines and likely won't in the future.

Good question.

I believe they own at least some of the track in NJ. I checked a tax map in Paterson, and they owed a few thousand dollars on the piece I noted. It's possible they don't own the L&HR segment from Sparta to Pelton, I sorta recall the state bought that piece and leased it to NYSW for a buck, but I could be wrong.

#107359  by nydepot

He's referring to the tax credits that just got approved on the CNY (NS line from Bingo to Port Jervis)...property taxes.

Charles
 #108273  by NJ Vike

Lackawanna484 wrote:
JoeCollege wrote:not sure if property taxes are at issue here- NYSW pays no taxes on the ND lines and likely won't in the future.

Good question.

I believe they own at least some of the track in NJ. I checked a tax map in Paterson, and they owed a few thousand dollars on the piece I noted. It's possible they don't own the L&HR segment from Sparta to Pelton, I sorta recall the state bought that piece and leased it to NYSW for a buck, but I could be wrong.
I believe from one of the books I read, that NYS&W did purchase the line from Sparta to Pelton.

I also wonder if they own the track from Sparta down to ??? as I recall when NJT was thinking of adding passenger service to this area, besides the Nimbys not wanting the railyard here, was the amount Walter was looking for from NJT.