Railroad Forums 

• Side dump gondolas

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1096601  by CarterB

I notice past two weeks two side dump gondolas loaded with riprap parked under I-80 on siding in Rochelle Park, NJ.
They have friction bearing trucks. What is heritage of these cars? and still able to use with friction bearings?
 #1096686  by NYSW3022

They are D&H in origin. If I remember correctly, friction bearing cars can only be interchanged at the discretion of the railroads involved.
 #1096777  by DutchRailnut

friction bearings are prohibited from interchange with other railroads but can be used in MofW service on home road.
some older cars look like they have friction bearings minus covers, those are modified cars with roller bearings.
 #1165271  by CarterB

The two Ex D&H (painted light blue with yellow lettering) friction bearing side dump gondolas still parked in Rochelle Park...what is future for them?> Being friction bearing, these days, who maintains the journals? Photo of one at a different location ( http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=198576 )
 #1166047  by lvrr325

Railroad can use them all it wants on it's own rails. Sometimes you can still interchange them, but it about takes an act of God to get it done - it's not done with revenue cars, but exemptions for historic equipment are occasionally made. NYS&W will likely use them until they're complete junk and scrap them.

Even the converted cars can't really be interchanged these days without special permission.