Railroad Forums 

• a question about the NS accident

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #87060  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

sorry Schuylkill Valley, but i just thought of this question, lock it if you feel it is too late, what is the mainline speed in which the accident occured? i read 50 mph, something around there, now, wouldn't the engineer know something is wrong if he hit a switch going mainline speed? wouldn't the train derail at the switch if he was going that fast?

#87271  by glennk419

Maximum speed in dark territory on NS is 49 mph. The black box on the loco stated it was moving at 45 mph before the engineer put the train into emergency, presumably when he sighted the misaligned switch.

#87326  by johnpbarlow

I hate to make a claim without proof but I thought I read an article that indicated the actual speed of collison was in the 10 to 20 mph region...

#87627  by CSX Conductor

johnpbarlow wrote:I hate to make a claim without proof but I thought I read an article that indicated the actual speed of collison was in the 10 to 20 mph region...
I doubt it would have been that catastrophic if it was at 20MPH or less.
 #87629  by CSX Conductor

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:wouldn't the engineer know something is wrong if he hit a switch going mainline speed?

By that point is would be too late and there would be nothing he could do. :(

#87687  by efin98

CSX Conductor wrote:
johnpbarlow wrote:I hate to make a claim without proof but I thought I read an article that indicated the actual speed of collison was in the 10 to 20 mph region...
It looks like the branch is on a curve of some sort, maybe the derailment forced cars together due to the curve- thus the rupture.

Isn't the speed of the locomotives recorded? That may have come from the locomotive of the unfortunate train...

#87703  by CSX Conductor

efin98 wrote:[
It looks like the branch is on a curve of some sort, maybe the derailment forced cars together due to the curve- thus the rupture.

Isn't the speed of the locomotives recorded? That may have come from the locomotive of the unfortunate train...
Any new pics on-line anywhere?

And yes the tapes should have recorded such things such as speed, brake use, whistle, horn, throttle position. :wink:

#87768  by jg greenwood

CSX Conductor wrote:
A collision at 15-20 mph will cause unbelievable damage! Some years ago there was an accident near Clinton, Iowa, speed-10mph, two men killed.