Railroad Forums 

• NS on the Port Road

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #590547  by Bobby S

I know they come through at night through Perryville but why do some keep going through and some sit all night? Also I would have to say once in a blue moon, one train keeps the bell dinging behind my house while the others don't. Any reason for this? Horn is rare as there is only one crossing in town but also once in a blue moon one engineer gets Horn Happy all through the area while the train is creeping along at 10mph at 3 AM Any help here? Thanks!
 #686212  by Rail Boy

Where on the Port Road do you live?

I know that if a train with an excessive wide car comes westbound from Amtrak, it usually sits in the siding at Tome until all of the eastbounds come through. There is a wide spot where a wide car can be passed, while it can't be passed anywhere else. Amtrak requires that NS run these wide cars as the first trains of the night, so once it gets to Perry, it has to get put out of the way until all of the eastbounds are finished running.
 #686241  by Big Bri

From railfanning Perryville many,many times first train out onto Amtrak is usually 34A. Then a 590 or 592 Coal train for Bayview. Almost like clockwork around 11pm-11:30pm the 23W comes thru Perryville on its way to HBG. Then 12G gets the go ahead out onto to Amtrak ands trip to Harrington,DE. If 12G isn't in the picture then 13G usually makes an appearance between 11pm.-12midnight. Now that 12N/13N are abolished you get a 28Z handling the mty Racks out of the Port of Wilmington.

Here's a single nights report by me a couple weeks back. Should give a pretty good idea what you'll see:
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Friday and Saturday June 5 & 6 "Perryville Sta."
Fri. June 5th
1.(NS-34A) 11:23pm
NS 9183 C40-9W
NS 9676 C40-9W

63 Cars(6 Tractors on Flats/57 mixed
264 axles
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
2.(NS-23W) 11:35pm
NS 9249 Dash-9W
NS 9469 Dash-9W

71 TOFC/COFC
26 x 0 = 26 (railroad count)
Sat. June 6th(D-Day)
3.(NS-13G) 12:46am
NS 9904 C40-9W(LSL light not on)
NS 9636 C40-9W

88 Cars(8 H&W flats/27 WIMX mty Stone/53 mixed)
400 axles
The H&W Flats were 8 axles B-B-B-B
4.(NS-28Z) 1:09am
NS 2742 SD-70M-2

57 mty Auto Racks
234 axles
5,412 feet
2,911 tons
5.(NS-12G) 1:29am
NS 2710 SD-70M-2
NS 6731 SD-60I(x5600) "CRQ"

68 Cars(30 WIMX Stone/38 mixed)
284 axles
6.(NS-406) "Elephant Style" 1:47am
NS 7532 GEVO
NS 9311 C40-9W

90 x 0 = 90 (ORE Hoppers)
12,455 tons
372 axles
4,548 feet
------------------------------------------------------------------------
7.(NS-33A) 2:18am
NS 9148 Dash-9W (LSL lite not on)
NS 9491 Dash-9W

32 Cars
240 axles

Cheers,

Bri
 #686289  by gp80mac

Bobby S wrote:I know they come through at night through Perryville but why do some keep going through and some sit all night? Also I would have to say once in a blue moon, one train keeps the bell dinging behind my house while the others don't. Any reason for this? Horn is rare as there is only one crossing in town but also once in a blue moon one engineer gets Horn Happy all through the area while the train is creeping along at 10mph at 3 AM Any help here? Thanks!
RE: the bell.

on GE widebodies, the bell comes on automatically when the horn is blown. It stays on until the engineer hits the bell button. On some engines, you can't really hear the bell in the cab, esp. on the engineer's side. So he may have just forgotten to turn it off.

On most newer EMD widebodies, the bell comes on with the horn. only difference is that the bell times itself out. Once the horn blows, the bell stays ringing for 30 seconds or so. and there is no way to shut the stupid thing off early. It just has to play itself out.

If a train is passing a standing train, it must also ring its bell and blow the horn as it is passing. If there's MOW along the tracks, bell and horn must be sounded. Some hoggers blow the horn if there's deer standing on the tracks. Of course same applies to peoples on or about the tracks.
 #704482  by Bobby S

That "bell" answer explains all... I will pass the info on to my neighbors!
 #1043045  by rob216

I was out there last night for my first time to see some action on the line. I don't know the train symbols, so i really cant tell you which ones were running. I got there around 9:00pm to see the first one come down to the signal and wait until sometime around 10:00pm for when they got the light to out on the NEC. I saw at least 8 trains last night down there until 1:00 when i decided to go home home for bed. Next time I need to take my camera and get some shots.
 #1043053  by Big Bri

Robert,
Having a scanner is most helpful as all you'll really need is AMTRAK AAR Ch. 54 {160.920} and NS Mainline Disp. AAR Ch. 64
{161.070}.
Write down the engine numbers and car counts as I may be able to assist you in the Symbol on some of these trains.
The intermodal trains are easy: 23W comes up from Baltimore between 11pm-1am. 24M is more toward early morning and heads south to Bayview. Look to my report above to see how it's done.

Cheers,
Bri~