Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern M-19 (aka Speeder)

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #548163  by Rockin' Roller

I thought there was one sitting near the west end of the yard, but it was not on the rails. Maybe they refurbished it.
 #548187  by Gadfly

Speeder? Is that an engineer that exceeds the authorized speed? A railfan that speeds to chase a steam train? :P

I worked in the shops that rebuilt Fairmont MOTOR CARS and I never heard that term "speeder" except in the railfan mags OR used by train buffs!~ A lot of the words fans use are a source of puzzlement to employees as we have NEVER heard them INSIDE the industry.

Want another little kick? I know where there is a REAL pump hand car that is NOT in a museum. Unless they have done something else with it, it is at the Charlotte Roadway Equipment Shops, 312 W. Liddell St, Charlotte, NC. We played with it back in the 90's on the yard tracks. Last time I saw it, it was put up on storage racks at that facility. I figured it would've gone to Spencer Museum by now. Uh, I doubt they'd allow anyone in there to see it IF it is still there.

Gadfly
 #548679  by jlr3266

Gadfly,

I guess there must be many terms that make railroaders question the topic. This happens to me all of the time in structural work. Particularly in crossword puzzles.
 #548687  by Rockin' Roller

I had never heard the term speeder, but after a Google search, it seems that is what a lot of people call them.
 #548942  by Gadfly

On NS it was an M-19 Motor Car! :-D Never heard it referred to as a "speeder". Oh, well, ya learn something new all the time.............................. :wink:

Gadfly