Railroad Forums 

• Philadelphia NS Columbia Bridge

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #451522  by tapper13

Does anyone know the frequency of trains on NS's Columbia Bridge over the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia? Also are there any days busier than others and better times of day to try to catch a train? I live in New York but have been working in Philly for a couple of months. While I have gotten a few good shots, most of my rail photography efforts have been stymied by the extremely irregular schedule of CSX trains moving throught the city. I only have a few days left here and I'm not sure if I should devote an entire day to trying to get a shot of the Columbia Bridge if there is not much chance of getting anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#451719  by kevikens

There is an NS train that leaves Pavonia, Camden in the AM 938 G, I think) about 8:30 every day. It may or may not set off cars at Frankford JCT. It then heads west through North Philly station, Park Junction and then the Columbia Bridge. If it does not stop at Frankford Jct it will cross the bridge about 9:30 AM. If it does set off or pick up cars it will be late morning before it crosses the bridge. By the way the best place for an AM shot is from the east side of the bridge which you can get to from either Kelly Drive or by parking at one of the mansions ( I forget its name)just off of Kelly Drive and walking in behind it to a hill which is above the bridge and looks down.
 #451849  by tapper13

Thank you for the great info! Does this train operate on weekends as well?

#451956  by chuchubob

kevikens wrote:There is an NS train that leaves Pavonia, Camden in the AM 938 G, I think) about 8:30 every day. It may or may not set off cars at Frankford JCT. It then heads west through North Philly station, Park Junction and then the Columbia Bridge. If it does not stop at Frankford Jct it will cross the bridge about 9:30 AM. If it does set off or pick up cars it will be late morning before it crosses the bridge. By the way the best place for an AM shot is from the east side of the bridge which you can get to from either Kelly Drive or by parking at one of the mansions ( I forget its name)just off of Kelly Drive and walking in behind it to a hill which is above the bridge and looks down.
That's 39G. Its time leaving Pavonia can vary, but 9:30 is a good average.

#451958  by kevikens

Yes, it does and is more likely to pick up and set out on Sat. rather than Sunday. I alos find CSX trains to be more frequent on that line on weekends.

#471667  by tapper13

Thank you everybody for the information. I had a great afternoon photographing the bridge. Caught five CSX trains, one with all UP power. The rowers training on the river add a nice touch to pictures. For anyone else intersted in photographing here. I went in the afternoon in late October, when the light is coming from the southwest. I tried shooting from both banks. Nice pictures can be made from both, but the closer you get to the bridge the less of the train you will see. The bridge is wide and the tracks are in the center, so the more you are pointing up the more of the engine/cars blocked from view by the bridge itself. I have also seen a couple of nice shots from elevated positions on both banks though I did not try these personally. I went on a Friday afternoon and caught four eastbounds and one westbound between about 12:45 and 5:15. Thanks again everybody!!!