Railroad Forums 

• Train sign - whistle post

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.

#432537  by CSXT 700

If you are reffering to the photo under your name, its a whistle post. Two long, one short, and one long. Used for grade crossings.

#432825  by ital

Thanks CSXT 700.

It might also be used for a trestle bridge, since there is no grade crossing close by. The sign is in the back of my community and there is a trestle bridge close by. It gets disturbing when the train blows at 3am waking me up. But, I guess that's virginia law to blow at trestles.

D

#432873  by CSXT 700

I beleave most railroads, have rules about blowing for bridges. No shure what most are. I would have to look at my rulebook to refresh my memory about that.

#433059  by TB Diamond

Several years ago, on the BN, it was one long when approaching bridges or tunnels.

#439513  by jgallaway81

Under Conrail, you had to blow the crossing signal for tunnels. NS only requires the bell through the tunnel, but doesn't prohibit th euse of the whistle on the approach

#441901  by 10more years

Don't believe Southern blows for trestles, but they do for drawbridges,or they used too. That sign appears to be whistle post for a road crossing at grade. It should be about 1/4 mile from crossing. Sometimes, on CSX, they take out the crossing and leave the whistle post up (don't have a clue as to why except too damn lazy or trying to annoy engineers who have to blow whether there's a crossing or not). But there might be a an old private crossing or farm path up the road.

#471099  by Malley

Long long short long was once reserved for at grade crossings...as whistle signals have become less a way of communicating and are now just a warning, I've heard engines toot for tunnels as well as GCs with _ _ . _
What I'm saying is that engineers don't feel a need to be consistent with this sort of signal, but I'm willing to be wrong on this.
Malley