Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am sues "Atlantic Northeast Rails & Ports" for libel

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1046745  by MEC407

Case dismissed: http://www.leagle.com/xmlResult.aspx?xm ... -2007-CURR

The Union Leader posted this link on their web site. No article, no commentary, just the link. Kind of odd.
 #1046871  by jaymac

To borrow from Miracle Max in The Princess Bride, mostly dismissed: Plaintiffs can still refile an amended complaint with 30 days, so we'll all get to see just how much PAR wants to go after ANRP.
 #1046928  by MEC407

Thanks for the clarification, jaymac.
 #1047211  by KEN PATRICK

i see that pan am's suit against chop hardenburg has been dismissed. i guess on the facts that no damages could be established. my involvement with guilford over the years was a failure since their pricing for waste made no sense. my trips to billerica reminded me of graveyards. old, crumbling buildings were depressing as was the plethora of rusting power. nothing that would inspire non railroad people to invest millions in new rail equipment. i watched new england transload fail even before trying to get something reasable from pan am. devens recycling original pricing and service was a joke. ken patrick
 #1295890  by MEC407

I guess they must have refiled that amended complaint, but apparently it too was dismissed.

From the Portland Press Herald:
Portland Press Herald wrote:A federal judge has rejected a defamation lawsuit brought by Pan Am Railways and its former president against a small industry newsletter in a case that First Amendment advocates say demonstrates an important safeguard for the online publishing industry.
. . .
On Tuesday, federal Judge Nancy Torresen sided with the newsletter, granting its request for summary judgment, meaning that the lawsuit did not even get to trial.
. . .
Pan Am officials did not return a call for comment Wednesday. Pan Am’s attorney, Thad Zmistowski of Eaton Peabody in Bangor, said he would release a statement but none was received Wednesday.
 #1352960  by MEC407

From Courthouse News Service:
Courthouse News Service wrote:A trade publication for the rail industry must face a claim that its reporting about lost train cars defamed a railway, the First Circuit ruled.
. . .
A federal judge in Maine dismissed the first version of the lawsuit for failure to state a claim, and threw out the second at summary judgment.

Describing the ensuing appeal for a three-judge panel of the First Circuit, Judge O. Rogeriee Thompson noted that the railway has made "the big-picture argument that the troublesome passages in the offending articles ... are capable of defamatory readings and are provably false."

"Wrong, and wrong again, defendants fire back," the 33-page decision states. "But, for reasons to appear shortly, we think plaintiffs are right about the lost-car comments. And so we reverse only on that issue."

Thompson rejected the newsletter's contention that its reporting about lost cars containing toxic cargo was "too cryptic" to have conveyed a defamatory thought.
Read the rest of the article at: http://www.courthousenews.com/2015/10/1 ... ircuit.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PDF of the 33-page court decision (long but quite fascinating; definitely worth reading): http://www.courthousenews.com/2015/10/14/panam.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;