Railroad Forums 

• Bucksport Branch activity & news

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1162821  by gokeefe

CN9634 wrote:Quite frankly there is no reason for the Buck to be more than 10 MPH.
Very true. But lately it hasn't even been that.
 #1162877  by Backshophoss

OK,they put in ties to hold the gauge,but didn't do any work on the roadbed(ballast) except for patch repairs :(
result is crap happens. If the speed is under 10 mph,maybe, as time and manpower allows,some basic roadbed repairs??
 #1162893  by gokeefe

Backshophoss wrote:If the speed is under 10 mph,maybe, as time and manpower allows,some basic roadbed repairs??
I think the big issue here is they haven't got time or manpower to make the necessary repairs.
 #1162924  by Backshophoss

Granted,the route of the oil trains,the new sea container service startup,Conn river line,and Downeaster track maintance,
are the highest on the list for the track gangs,hopefully a small gang might work the branch as time,material allows.
(Does PAR still have section track crews??)
 #1162927  by necr3849

CN9634 wrote:Quite frankly there is no reason for the Buck to be more than 10 MPH.

Sure, but how about making it possible to just keep the trains on the tracks for a year straight without dumping one over!
 #1163078  by newpylong

Maybe, but the first 3 miles of the branch are currently 5 mph... Normal speed used to be 30 mph.

Related, the entire Madison branch (20 miles) is 5 mph. That's 4 hours to go 20 miles.

I can see running and Industrial tracks being 5 mph because of their limited tonnage and use but these branches require trainorders and see heavy, daily trains. I rather see them spend the money on the mainline but 5 mph is laughable. It was bad enough when they dropped all the tracks in Deerfield down to 5 from 10 when I was there I can't imagine going that far.
 #1242242  by jaymac

Dunno how the mill in question is fueled, but there have been stories about the increase in natural gas usage causing problems with pipeline capacity and pricing.
 #1242256  by gokeefe

jaymac wrote:Dunno how the mill in question is fueled, but there have been stories about the increase in natural gas usage causing problems with pipeline capacity and pricing.
My understanding is that they can burn coal, wood chips or natural gas in various parts of their facility.
 #1242338  by MEC407

From the Morning Sentinel:
Morning Sentinel wrote:Verso Paper Corp. said Friday it will idle its Bucksport mill for about two weeks to control inventory amid a flood of paper supply on the market and a spike in natural gas prices.

Verso, which Monday agreed to buy rival NewPage Holdings for $1.4 billion, employs about 560 workers at the Bucksport mill, said spokesman Bill Cohen.

The mill will shut down by Jan. 17 and remain idle for about two weeks, Cohen said. The company’s biomass boiler will remain in operation and produce electricity during the shutdown, he said.

“This is happening because of the extraordinary cost of natural gas, which happened last winter as well. And also, a soft order book, which is typical for this time of year. Instead of making paper and keeping it in a warehouse, we’re shutting down for two weeks,” Cohen said.
Read the rest of the article at: http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/Vers ... eeks_.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks very much to Dick H for sending me the link to the article.
 #1251724  by BM6569

MEC Messenger Fall 1981
MEC02120.JPG
MEC02120.JPG (216.23 KiB) Viewed 4069 times
MEC02121.JPG
MEC02121.JPG (427.15 KiB) Viewed 4069 times
MEC02122.JPG
MEC02122.JPG (192.3 KiB) Viewed 4069 times
 #1251780  by Sir Ray

From that MEC Messenger article posted by BM6569 above:

"About the same time, St. Regis leaders announced plans to convert the mill's steam-producing boilers from oil to wood and coal"

Zounds, that was the energy short early '80s indeed - difficult to imagine such a proposal nowadays.
 #1251812  by newpylong

Great pictures. Look at those ties, that's probably the last time a tie job went through there. Look at where those old timers are sitting on the spreader. priceless.