Railroad Forums 

• Portsmouth Branch Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#973852  by roberttosh

Nope - Foss hasn't got cars for years. Good to see Sea 3 getting cars again as they can go a long time between rail shipments.
 #973854  by MECFAN

Went in town to eat and swung by High Liner, fuel truck fueling up one of the fish cars. Found DO-1 514 sitting in the yard by itself so they dropped off the covered hopper and gas cars when they came in. We'll see if they re-crew and finish up Saturday, wondering if Sea 3 will unload the gas cars tonight.
 #973881  by MEC407

Kids these days! :wink: At least it was a Super Soaker and not a paintball gun... ouch!
 #974315  by newpylong

Is Sea-3 the company with the spots closest to Patterson Lane or Shafmaster? I know there are two seperate spurs and spots and I have seen gas cars on the track closer to Patterson...
 #974469  by ereuter

I recently bought a scanner (first time), and have still never been able to catch any transmissions from here in Portsmouth. I programmed in the frequencies that are in the FAQ, but I wonder if one of you could tell me specifically which frequencies the DO-1 crews use?

Thanks-
Eric
 #974506  by Dick H

The Dispatcher (Billerica) will transmit on 161.160. You should hear that fine
as it comes from the antenna on Mt. Agamenticus in York.

The locomotives will transmit on 161.520 when talking to Billerica and out
on the main line. In general, these are relatively low wattage radios, so
you may not hear them if they are more than a few miles from your location.

While working in and around Portsmouth and Newington, the crews may use
the so-called "yard channel" 161.400 to switch cars, etc. That way they do
not have to listen to the Billerica chatter and vice-versa. Again, low wattage
output comes into play, so you may not hear them beyond a few miles.
 #974525  by ereuter

Dick H wrote:The Dispatcher (Billerica) will transmit on 161.160. You should hear that fine
as it comes from the antenna on Mt. Agamenticus in York.

The locomotives will transmit on 161.520 when talking to Billerica and out
on the main line. In general, these are relatively low wattage radios, so
you may not hear them if they are more than a few miles from your location.

While working in and around Portsmouth and Newington, the crews may use
the so-called "yard channel" 161.400 to switch cars, etc. That way they do
not have to listen to the Billerica chatter and vice-versa. Again, low wattage
output comes into play, so you may not hear them beyond a few miles.
Thanks, Dick. That's very helpful. My office is only about 1000 feet from the yard, so I should be able to hear the locs from here.

My radio has dual receivers, so I should be able to hear both side of the conversation.

Eric
 #975532  by ereuter

DO-1 is in town today. They dropped a couple of reefers in the yard, and ran light power toward Newington. Just came back to the yard with a couple of tanks, a covered hopper, 5 empty center beams, and two reefers. Is someone in Newington getting reefers? I had assumed they were all for Highliner. I've seen some come back from switching in Newington in the past, but had assumed that they just hadn't bothered to drop them in the yard on the way down there.
 #976090  by newpylong

Very cool. Is that a mix of empties and loads for Highliner? We used to bring reefers down to C&S on the Conn River, I am not sure if they still do. It was usually chilled fruit and service was very infrequent.