Railroad Forums 

• Activity on the Mountain Branch (Portland to Westbrook)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#843132  by Mikejf

The container building was brick and received only boxcars. Pretty sure i have seen a picture of it somewhere, but it was not recently so I could only guess which book to look in. I think it ended about the same time that SD Warren went out of business and sold to Sappi Paper.
 #883409  by markhb

I was surprised around 5:30 this evening when (I think MEC) 512 came in from the cold on the Mountain Branch. It was inbound toward PTC and the main line, no load and passing the outer Congress St. grade crossing when I saw it. There was no flagger, but the bells and flashers on the grade crossing are in good working order.
 #954323  by roberttosh

Is this mill seeing much rail service these days - if any? Am guessing it would mainly be tank car/hopper car traffic? And are they the last active customer on the Mountain Division? Thanks!
 #956444  by S1f3432

The Sappi Mill in Westbrook no longer produces printing paper and has only one paper machine running.
The pulp mill was closed and demolished a number of years ago and they currently buy open market
pulp to produce "release paper" which is used in a plastic molding process. A plant employee told me
the crinkly surface plastic such as you see used for auto dashboards is one such use. The Labs on Warren
Ave. are still open developing new products. A display case in the plant holds items such as soccer balls,
running shoes and purses made out of paper but look like plastic. The quantities shipped probably aren't
suited to rail- Panam involvement doesn't help. Inbound chemicals and coatings can easily be trucked in
from SafeHandling or elsewhere.
 #956669  by S1f3432

The operating paper machine is in the area next to River Rd. immediately north of the river, while
coating and converting operation is mostly in the area bounded by the river, River Rd. and Warren
Ave. Large parts of the complex are vacant or used for paper storage and are rumored to be
candidates for demolition. The co-gen plant on the north side of the property, which burns a mix
of coal and woodchips to generate electricity and supply the mill with process steam will likely
outlive any papermaking activity at the site.
 #978165  by BM6569

miketrainnut wrote:Spotted today headed for the mill was one locomotive, 4 tank cars and one covered hopper. Seen passing beneath the turnpike about 10:45 this morning.

Mike

Nice, I always look down there but never see anything when I'm passing by!

Warren
 #1018110  by festis

Sappi is only bringing in raw materials by rail at this time. Limestone Slurry, Clay (slurry and dry), and starch. Right around 10 cars a month total. Pan am makes the run out for a switch roughly every 10-12 days. Usually in the late evening, but more recently at mid-day.

you will never see any cars in the yard, everything is placed inside a heated unload building, on the west side of the river. lol, the tank sitting in the yard has been rusting in place for 15 years...

Remaining business, as noted, is specialty papers. 80% export, domestic is largely LTL quantities. all of the east side rail facilities at the mill are outbound shipping and have been dormant for some time.

Pan am will occasionally pick up a load of Ballast at Pike, but it is very rare.