Railroad Forums 

• PanAm Fitchburg Main Line?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1320614  by cu29640

I am referring to the line from Mechanicville to Lowell JCT. How many daily freight trains on average? How many are the new intermodals? I am surprised at how small the NS Intermodal terminal is in Ayer. Its doesn't match the size of Mechanicville. Is NS still moving forward with improving the track to NS Mainline standards...and growing business..or have they backed off? I still see jointed track, rotten ties, and slow trains. But its a beautiful and historic route.

Also, is the route now clear for double stacks?
 #1320631  by newpylong

6 scheduled plus extras and locals. 4 are NS intermodal.

The intermodal yard in Ayer isn't really an intermodal yard it is a short freight yard with 2 tracks converted in the past 20 years. Mechanicville was a new build, plenty of space.

NS is giving PAS money to do incremental improvements on the mainline (bridges, signals, some new rail, ties, etc). The mainline will never be close to NS standards unless they own it. Right now it is no better than some periods under Guilford rule despite the capital improvements.

It is clear for international (or 1 domestic, 1 international) double stacks under 19'2", but not 2 hi cube domestic stacks that exceed 20'2". I think those numbers are right.
 #1320634  by johnpbarlow

cu29640 wrote:I am referring to the line from Mechanicville to Lowell JCT. How many daily freight trains on average? How many are the new intermodals? ...
Between Ayer and Lowell Jct in Andover, MA, PAR operates 2 daily pairs of merchandise freights: EDPO/POED and SEPO/POSE (interchanged with CSX at Worcester) plus the occasional loaded/empty coal trains to/from Bow, NH. West of E Deerfield, I think there are 4 daily train pairs: the 2 intermodal pairs to/from Ayer plus EDMO/MOED and RJED/EDRJ. There's also an AD-1 local that I think runs between E Deerfield and Hoosick Jct/N Bennington as needed for interchange with VRS so average daily train count west of ED could exceed 8.
 #1320718  by CN9634

newpylong wrote:6 scheduled plus extras and locals. 4 are NS intermodal.

The intermodal yard in Ayer isn't really an intermodal yard it is a short freight yard with 2 tracks converted in the past 20 years. Mechanicville was a new build, plenty of space.

NS is giving PAS money to do incremental improvements on the mainline (bridges, signals, some new rail, ties, etc). The mainline will never be close to NS standards unless they own it. Right now it is no better than some periods under Guilford rule despite the capital improvements.

It is clear for international (or 1 domestic, 1 international) double stacks under 19'2", but not 2 hi cube domestic stacks that exceed 20'2". I think those numbers are right.
Also a standard 8'6" international container not a hi-cube 9"6" of which many are high cubes these days
 #1321600  by cu29640

Thanks for the info. Will any freight traffic start to use the rebuilt Conn River Line? Also, I have seen videos of early Guilford Trains flying on the Fitchburg main...did they just slowly let the infrastructure deteriorate? Did B&M run more freight on this line prior to 1980?