• Passenger excursion on Pan Am Southern - April 2013

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

From the High Iron Travel web site:
High Iron Travel wrote:It has been a long time since there has been a fan trip on the former B&M main line through the Hoosac tunnel. The fare will include all en route meals; bus back from Mechanicville and sleeping accommodations for those continuing to Saratoga. (This trip has been approved by the railroad.)

One day only: April 13, 2013.

Equipment: Caritas, Cimarron River, diner 448, Swift Stream, Minnesota River and an ex-Santa Fe “Big Dome” that will be added in Ayer, MA.

Lv. Boston, North Station, 0800
Arr. Mechanicville, NY 1700
Arr. Saratoga, NY 1900. Cars may be occupied overnight in Saratoga.
More info at: http://www.highirontravel.com/schedule.html

Thanks to "John" at GuilfordRailSightings for the heads-up on this excursion!
  by Red Wing

My first response:

April Fools?

Second Response:

I'm in.

An addition:

The new management seems to do something new that amazes me every day. I'm liking it!
  by moth

How do people get home from Saratoga? Is their a convenient train that returns to Boston?
  by Dick H

Depending on what time the excursion on the S&NC returns to Saratoga Springs,
you could get the Southbound Adirondack #68 at 3:48PM or the Southbound Ethan
Allen # 296 at 6:47PM. However, you would have to travel to NYP to get to Boston, as
the eastbound Lake Shore LImited #448 from Albany to Boston departs ALB at 3:25PM.
#68 can get to ALB early if they were not extra delayed at the customs stop at Rouses
Point and #448 can be late departing if #48 is late into ALB from Chicago. However,
there is no way to be sure this would happen.

It is about 37 road miles from SAR to ALB. Perhaps a group could make arrangements
for a charter limo/bus, to take them to ALB to get #448, the Lake Shore Limited to
depart ALB at 3:50PM, arriving BOS at 9:10PM, if it is on time. Perhaps, the tour
owner will address this issue, when full details and pricing are announced.
  by 130MM

moth wrote:How do people get home from Saratoga? Is their a convenient train that returns to Boston?
The information sent to the Mileage list indicated that there would be a bus operated to bring people back from Mechanicsville on Saturday. If you need the miles to Saratoga, you'll have to find your own way home. The trip on the S&NC is indicated to occur on Sunday. The train will only travel to Saratoga on Saturday.

DAW
  by newpylong

Gonna be a long trip at current speeds. Lotta 10's creeping back in. Really providing for some nice "logjams" at night with all of the traffic.
  by MEC407

The web site has been updated with pricing information:
High Iron Travel wrote: Boston to Mechanicville, April 13 day trip
G1* Dome seat, includes breakfast and lunch, max 60 seats $349.00
G2* Coach seat in MARC car, includes breakfast and lunch, max 50 seats $199.00
G3* Charter bus return to Boston area, appox 3 hours to Boston $45.00

Boston to Saratoga, April 13 day trip
F1 Exclusive accommodations in open-platform business car Caritas
Includes all meals, open bar (may also detrain in Mechanicville) $550.00
G4* Dome seat, includes breakfast, lunch and dinner, max 60 seats $399.00
G5* Coach seat in MARC car, includes meals, max 50 seats $249.00
G6* Charter bus return to Boston area, approx. 3.5 hours to Boston $50.00
Return buses will stop at Ayer, Anderson Transp. Center, Riverside, and downtown
  by gokeefe

I have been watching this thread for some time now and in all simple honesty I am more than a little surprised at this decision since the system is already somewhat strained as things stand right now.
  by 130MM

MCER401 wrote:Long trip is fine with me. Bought my tickets yesterday and I can't wait!
How did you get a hold of them? I've called about 20 times, and keep getting the answering machine. I've left messages but they haven't called back.

DAW
  by Dick H

I have a friend that is trying to book on the train.
He reports there are two different phone numbers
and that at least one of the phone takers is not
too "swift"....Good luck...
  by NRGeep

So, if they're picking up passengers at Andersonville at 8:20am and then picking up more at Ayer at 10:20am it appears that they will utilize the New Hampshire Division and then go down to Ayer from Lowell. Looking forward to the rare mileage and the old B&M horse shoe curve in South Ashburnham etc. Anything interesting between the Hoosac and "Mickyville" historically still there?
  by newpylong

Anderson... not Andersonville. Yes the train will go up the New Hampshire Division to North Chelmsford then over the Stony Brook to Ayer. Definitely a cool movement.

Let's see. You have what's left of North Adams and the yard there (B&M had a yard on the east side of the mainline and the B&A had a yard on what is now the Adams Industrial track, Williamstown station is pretty impressive as it is stone. Almost in Williamstown and Pownal you can see where the old westbound used to be (double iron for 6 miles up until the late 80's). At Hoosick Junction the Vermont Rail System comes in at a wye. At Eagle Bridge the Battenkill Railroad comes in. In Johnsonville you have the old tower still standing that controlled the Troy Branch. In Stillwater you have the huge Hudson River bridge which is very impressive. A few more I might be forgetting.