• Passenger excursion on Pan Am Southern - April 2013

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by NRGeep

newpylong wrote:Anderson... not Andersonville. Yes the train will go up the New Hampshire Division to North Chelmsford then over the Stony Brook to Ayer. Definitely a cool movement.

Let's see. You have what's left of North Adams and the yard there (B&M had a yard on the east side of the mainline and the B&A had a yard on what is now the Adams Industrial track, Williamstown station is pretty impressive as it is stone. Almost in Williamstown and Pownal you can see where the old westbound used to be (double iron for 6 miles up until the late 80's). At Hoosick Junction the Vermont Rail System comes in at a wye. At Eagle Bridge the Battenkill Railroad comes in. In Johnsonville you have the old tower still standing that controlled the Troy Branch. In Stillwater you have the huge Hudson River bridge which is very impressive. A few more I might be forgetting.
Thanks!
  by NellsChoo

I just found out that buried deep within another thread is some updated info saying things have changed with this train. Here is what was posted:

Monday, April 8: Caritas and Cimarron River leave on Amtrak #48/448 for Boston.
Tuesday, April 9: Arrive Boston. Park overnight.
Wednesday, April 10: Move equipment to Ayer, MA via Worcester (ex-Worcester, Nashua & Portland). Park in Ayer until early Saturday morning. We well provide transportation between our parking location and the Ayer MBTA station. (About 1.5 miles).
Friday, April 12: Side trip including lunch on Cape RR from Middleborough to Hyannis and return. Bus leaves Ayer at 0900.
Saturday, April 13: Hoosac Tunnel trip from Boston, North Station to Mechanicville/Saratoga.
Sunday, April 14: Round-trip Saratoga to North Creek
Monday, April 15: Special Saratoga to Albany. Then equipment moves east on #49.
Tuesday, April 16: Arrive Chicago 0945.
>
> Note: The last two lines should read west, not east.
>
  by johnpbarlow

NellsChoo wrote:I just found out that buried deep within another thread is some updated info saying things have changed with this train. Here is what was posted:

Monday, April 8: Caritas and Cimarron River leave on Amtrak #48/448 for Boston.
Tuesday, April 9: Arrive Boston. Park overnight.

>
I'm confused a bit here - Unless the eb Lake Shore Limited is ridiculously late, 448's Monday departure from Rensselaer at 325pm (or thereabouts) should enable Boston arrival on Monday evening and not on Tuesday.
  by Dick H

I believe they are leaving Chicago on #48 Monday night,
into Albany Tuesday afternoon and #448 to Boston.
  by highrail

I got an email from High Iron confirming this change. I was planning on returning from Mechanicville anyway, so not a problem for me, but puzzling as to why CP would not accommodate the trip. Seems like a great opportunity for good PR rather than this.
  by newpylong

In the past few years they certainly have seemed to replace the Big G/P as the grinch of the Northeast.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

there is a part of this trip going to the Cape? is it the bus travel part I assume, then Cape RR equipment?
  by MIKEMOXIEMAINE

k
Last edited by MIKEMOXIEMAINE on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by MEC407