Railroad Forums 

• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1335473  by MEC407

newpylong wrote:They won't upgrade anything from 25 to 40 even if it's on someone else's dime. Rebuilding to class III is easy, maintaining isn't.

Weren't the grants for CMQ to move to 40 not PAR?
Right you are:
MaineDOT TIGER VII Application wrote:3. PAR from Northern Maine Junction to Waterville (MP 65 to MP 113)
Current track conditions on this segment of the project are Class I (no greater than 10 mph) with a signal system that dates back to the 1950s. Tie and rail conditions are in need of upgrade to support faster transit times. In 2015, PAR will be installing over 40,000 ties and surfacing this entire line. This project will continues these upgrades by installing 80,000 linear feet of 115-lb continuous welded rail, new turnouts and surfacing enabling an upgrade of the track class speeds on the line from 10 mph to 25 mph. The project will rehabilitate 20 road crossings and include the addition of motion sensing technology for crossing warnings and signal system modernization again improving safety and motorist comfort. This line is crucial as PAR connects the Maine industries to both Norfolk Southern and CSX, the two largest Class I railroads in the US east of the Mississippi River.
Source: http://maine.gov/mdot/tigergrants/docs/ ... rative.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Additional info and documents: http://maine.gov/mdot/tigergrants/tiger2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1336302  by MEC407

Video by MaineRailFanner:

https://youtu.be/gKvxw6fffGc?t=34s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1336445  by JB283

I saw a video yesterday on You Tube that was an NBSR westbound headed through Mattawamkeag dated sometime in the begining of the month of May 2015 i believe it might have been June. I saw in the video some empty center beams over on the PAR side of the tracks. Are they just being stored there, or did PAR bring them up? I thought the line to keag was run as needed and when needed, it was just NS chip gons and scrap tie cars. Has something changed?
 #1336447  by KSmitty

The centerbeams are stored there. Pan Am hauled a slug of them north last fall. Irving took them, and then respotted some new ones back in February. So this is the second set stored there.

Edit to clarify.
Pan Am hauled ~60 for storage last fall, staged on 3 & 5. They sat into January 2015 when Irving picked them up. Sometime in late Jan/early Feb 2015 Irving spotted whatever is currently there for storage on 1 & 3. There was a few months in the winter when no CB's were at Keag
 #1337088  by KSmitty

WAPO 610, 315, 3003, 321 west n clear of 147 at about 15:00.

610 has a sick horn, and 3003's patch is starting to peel, revealing the "Saint Lawrence and Atlantic" lettering underneath.
 #1337106  by MEC407

KSmitty wrote:3003's patch is starting to peel, revealing the "Saint Lawrence and Atlantic" lettering underneath.
Poor thing probably wants to go back to SLR... can you blame her? :P
 #1337237  by hh660

1:50 pm, one Pan Am utility truck and TEN (10) pieces of self propelled track maintenance vehicles just passed by the Mountain Division heading east on track one
S