Railroad Forums 

• CSX Paint Question

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#58266  by SEPTALRV9072

CSX is in the midst of repainting their ex-Conrail AC units (SD70/80MACs), but I noticed that they aren't getting the lightning bolts under the numberboards like their own AC units are getting. Is there any particular reason for this?

Here's 800 in Dark Future Paint:

And here's 784 in Dark Future:

#58293  by Jay Potter

All of the company's AC-traction units should receive lightning bolts when they are repainted. I suspect that the original-CSXT units have been repainted with lightning bolts because they were a feature of the units' original paint scheme; and the paint shops would have tended to restore that feature. I suspect that former-Conrail units have not been repainted with lightning bolts because, since lightning bolts were not a feature of the Conrail paint scheme, the units arrive at the paint shops without them; and the paint shops don't realize that they should be added. Another possible source of confusion is that AC4400CWs are oftentimes referred to on CSXT as simply "ACs"; and the paint shops would presumably associate that term with the need for lightning bolts. SD70MACs and SD80MACs, on the other hand, are oftentimes referred to as "SDs" or "MACs"; and the paint shops might not associate those terms with the need for lightning bolts, especially since there were no original-CSXT SD80MACs and relatively few original-CSXT SD70MACs have been repainted.

#58298  by SEPTALRV9072

I don't think any of the original CSX SD70MACs have been repainted.

#58354  by crazy_nip

SEPTALRV9072 wrote:I don't think any of the original CSX SD70MACs have been repainted.
only #700 has, it was the one that was severely damaged in that head-on back in 2001(2002?).

the rest are still in their original paint

to date, I think it is the ONLY engine repainted by csx that has lightning bolts...

none of the rest (GE or EMD) that I have seen have them

#58454  by CSX Conductor

Thank G thy haven't painted them all.....the Con-Rail paint scheme looked a lot better on the Mac's then the darn Dark Future. I like the dark blue, but hate the shade of yellow they decided to go with :(

#58512  by Jay Potter

AC4400CWs that have been repainted with lightning bolts include 61, 65, 91, and 500.