Railroad Forums 

• CSX Trash Trains...

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#622476  by iceman977th

I know CSX runs a trash train down the East Coast towards FL, but do they also run one from NJ to Coalton, KY? I read this articleabout a baby that might have been thrown in the trash (RIP) and put on a possible trash train to the nearby landfill. Would this be CSX's job, and would they run it down the Lexington Industrial to get it there? I'd like to go catch it sometime.
 #622814  by fireman9302

Would this be CSX's job, and would they run it down the Lexington Industrial to get it there? I'd like to go catch it sometime.
Yes, they run it up the Lexington Ind. track to and from Coalton.
 #627341  by iceman977th

fireman9302 wrote:
Would this be CSX's job, and would they run it down the Lexington Industrial to get it there? I'd like to go catch it sometime.
Yes, they run it up the Lexington Ind. track to and from Coalton.
Hm, any idea of what train it is or when it runs or anything? I'm going to go out one evening and try to catch the local run sometime.
 #627461  by MistahQ

Its the H706 coming out Russell Yard, heads down behind Kyova Mall in Cannonsberg.
Goes on duty at 1130 HRS
 #634652  by iceman977th

MistahQ wrote:Its the H706 coming out Russell Yard, heads down behind Kyova Mall in Cannonsberg.
Goes on duty at 1130 HRS
11:30AM? Hmm, then what # does the evening local run go under? I've caught it a few times (tonight it was late for some reason) but I don't know if it runs trash too or not.
 #641624  by GulfRail

Ugh! Those things? Well, at least they aren't as boring as double stacks or TOFC. :wink: Up on the Albany division, we get around 3-5 of those a week. Usually some older power (EMD SD40-2's, or SD50's/SD60's) are pulling the trains. The Albany division also sees regular Construction and Demolition trains.
 #642026  by atsf sp

The cars for the trash train are almost always parked at Beacon Park, Boston, MA.
 #642113  by RearOfSignal

Jim Rockford wrote:The smell will tell you where it is, I damn sure wouldn't go out of my way to find a trash train.
There are few things worse than doing restricted speed next to the garbage train waiting at a signal; it makes sure you know that it's there. Having to wait on the platform for the garbage train to pass do 30mph is pretty bad too.

Edit: typo
 #720181  by CPSK

I was unlucky enough today to catch the trash train heading south on the River Line at Teaneck. I have seen it before, and sometimes they have to sit and wait for a signal at CP7.
Today's train was especially stinky. Maybe due to the warm temps we have had over the past few days. It was bad enough that someone walking along Palisade ave (which parallels the railroad) made a comment to me. I explained to him that it was just the "garbage train".

Can someone give me an idea of where these trains originate, and what their destination is. I read the thread, and Kentucky was mentioned. I heard that a lot of that trash goes to the old Pennsylvania coal mines. Maybe some of it gets burned in power plants.

If I could know when to expect these stinkers coming through Teaneck, I could schedule my running in Votee Park for some other time, or go to the High School track instead.

FW
 #720203  by crblue

The daily unit trash trains on the River Line are Q701 and Q702 southbound and northbound respectively, they run from the Waste Management transfer station in the Bronx/Oak Point to Collier, VA. I've also seen a lot of the gray East Carbon Development Co. kind traveling on the backs of Q409 and Q410. They may be coming from or heading to the same place but I'm not for certain, although I think some of the gray ECDC containers may come from somewhere out on Long Island, they seem to show up on Q430 and Q431 about every night.
 #720309  by diburning

Q420 (when it was still around) was Boston's trash train (although it was a manifest freight, it was basically a manifest freight with a a couple strings of trash cars coming from Beacon Park). Unfortuantely, they truck thsoe trash containers now since Q420/Q421 have been abolished.
 #720814  by CPSK

So, I'm smelling New York City's trash<g>. Not surprised.
I've also seen those sludge trains; someone out at Allentown once referred to them as the poop (explitive replaced) trains. Never smelled anything from those though.

FW
 #720873  by matthewsaggie

I'm not sure where it comes from or where its going (SC?) but one comes through Rocky Mount NC on a regular basis.