Railroad Forums 

• Chessie Cabeese Behind Loco

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#266072  by Engineer James

Here in the detroit area I saw on the local a Chessie caboose behind the locomotive. why is this?? Safety??

#266152  by braves2905

i know the CSX calls them shoving platforms now, maybe thats what you saw??

#266232  by clearblock

If a local switching job regularly involves long backup movements, a caboose is used to provide a safe platform for the conductor to ride and control the movement. Much safer than hanging off the end car and holding a backup hose.

#266334  by UPRR engineer

It's called a "Cab Hop" there James. (PWR with cab, no other cars) We tow our cab around no matter what, on that local. Sometimes with a single SD 40-2, other times with 3 new AC's.

#266452  by roadster

Most likely clearblock has it right for CSX. Only a few locals utilize former cabooses which are now refered to as shoving platforms and utilized when industry switching requires a lengthy shove usually over a mile or over numerous busy highway crossings. The Cabooses interior is missing most of the equipment once required and are meerly an empty shell. The conductor will ride on the rear platform and direct the shove with directions to the engineer. On the platform he will have access to a emergency brake handle and a whistle pipe for crossing protection. There usually is fuses and a flag in a supply box. Most of these have their doors welded shut due to union agreements which will prevent them from being termed occupied cabooses and subject to arbitary penalty pay claims.

#269047  by overseer

CSX uses a refurbashed B&O Bay Window Caboose painted in dully battle ship Gary with yellow ends and lettering in Lyons, NY on its local there for long back up moves down several sideings off the main line.

#270128  by Engineer James

Well, I LOVE cabeese as much as the next railroader. The local is always powered by a GP38 or 40 in a Dark future paint scheme. Why not just hang off the railing in front of the locomotive? Would that help the engineer to see the command from the switchman better? The sidings, and believe me I know all of them, are no more than 100, straight back, except for the Werehayuser Product Warehouse along M-153 (Ford Rd.), nad that spur was full with 3 rail box and an open rib. The local runs in segments. The run, that I saw was the run from Plymouth to Wayne.

#270259  by railohio

Because the conductor has to be on the front of the train to protect the shove. Hanging off the engine at the rear would still leave the front unprotected.

#270260  by overseer

Engineer James wrote:Well, I LOVE cabeese as much as the next railroader. The local is always powered by a GP38 or 40 in a Dark future paint scheme. Why not just hang off the railing in front of the locomotive? Would that help the engineer to see the command from the switchman better? The sidings, and believe me I know all of them, are no more than 100, straight back, except for the Werehayuser Product Warehouse along M-153 (Ford Rd.), nad that spur was full with 3 rail box and an open rib. The local runs in segments. The run, that I saw was the run from Plymouth to Wayne.
The Local run from Lyons, NY to Jordon, NY uses a caboose due to the long back up moves the train needs to make. In general the first stop is at ADM the train can have as many as 12 cars and a caboose is need for a long back up that runs about half a mile back into the grounds. Once the train leaves ADM it gos to anouther elevator in Jordon, NY which also requires the train to back up almost a one mile down a long sideing that once extended 3 miles the sideing was once part of a yard lead that was cut back and turned into a controled sideing then had one end of it removed adding a small grain plat at the far end of it.

#270288  by UPRR engineer

railohio wrote:Because the conductor has to be on the front of the train to protect the shove. Hanging off the engine at the rear would still leave the front unprotected.
Huh? What ever your thinking, its wrong dude.

#270350  by railohio

Not hardly. The original poster asked why the shoving plaform was even needed.
Why not just hang off the railing in front of the locomotive?
I simply pointed out that would defeat the purpose of having the conductor on the opposite end of the train and thus the need for the "shoving platform" to begin with.

#270790  by conrail_engineer

railohio wrote:Not hardly. The original poster asked why the shoving plaform was even needed.
Why not just hang off the railing in front of the locomotive?
I simply pointed out that would defeat the purpose of having the conductor on the opposite end of the train and thus the need for the "shoving platform" to begin with.
x2. Yes, a crewmember - and the conductor is the only crewmember left who is not at the controls - must "protect" a "shoving movement."

In the Collinwood area, they're short cabooses - after having tripped over themselves to sell/scrap as many as they could. On a few locals, they'll tie power onto both ends of the train and use the unit on the rear as a shoving platform. And if there is a long reverse move, in theory the engineer can walk up to the other end and just run it from the front...

...although, most of the surviving yard jobs are held by old-timers who want a cab to go from the dorm to the engine track. I can't see some of those guys walking 25 cars just to change ends.

Power: GP38s.

#270857  by GN 599

I know its not related to CSX but out of Seattle we have locals that still use ''real cabooses'. One job in Bellingham still has a head and rear brakeman assigned, no joke. Thats the only job I know of that has a four man crew.

#270878  by overseer

GN 599 wrote:I know its not related to CSX but out of Seattle we have locals that still use ''real cabooses'. One job in Bellingham still has a head and rear brakeman assigned, no joke. Thats the only job I know of that has a four man crew.
I've seen NS work with 3 man crews on yard jobs on occation. One engineer and 2 guys on the ground throwing switches.

If a caboose or the now new politaical team switching platform as its now being called now is not around. I have seen some of these locals tow a covered hopper, flat car, or a Gondola just to be used for a spot for the conductor/brakemen to stand in or on while doing long back up moves.

In some ways I can see why remote control is takeing over on some loacls with only needing 1 guy on the ground he can get off any place run the train ahead walk over throw the switch and hop back on the end of the train and ride it backwards to where ever.

#270977  by UPRR engineer

Engineer James wrote: Why not just hang off the railing in front of the locomotive? Would that help the engineer to see the command from the switchman better?
Railohio, Im guessing James saw a local doing a cab hop, and im guessing he asked why did they bring the caboose when a guy could just stand on the steps at the rear of the consist while backing up. Yes that is ok.
railohio wrote: Because the conductor has to be on the front of the train to protect the shove. Hanging off the engine at the rear would still leave the front unprotected.
Heres some railroad lingo to help your future post, front of the train or a power consist is called the "Headend". When work is being done and theres a man at the end of the power consist, train, or cut, he is "Riding The Point". Using the word front in-regards to the direction of travel causes too much confusion, in the railfan world and in real railroading.

Hope ya can grasp the concepts of Movements Of Trains And Engines if you do go to AMGD there James. Theres alot to it!!!