Railroad Forums 

• Two killed in DeKalb County train-car collision

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#201357  by Amtrak31

"LITHONIA, Ga. - A man and a woman were killed when the car they were in was hit by a train.
Authorities said they do not know if the Cadillac was trying to beat the oncoming CSX train across the tracks Sunday afternoon. The two in the car died at the scene.
The intersection has flashing lights and a railroad crossing sign, DeKalb County police officer Cory Hughes said."

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledg ... 534048.htm

This is very sad. But, why'd they try to beat the train? If the crossing was unprotected, then it'd be different, but there were gates and flashers on this crossing. Can this question ever be answered? Feel free to post your thoughts on why some people don't respect railroad crossings.
 #201946  by PWV PETE

People are alwaya in a Hurry,they are uneducaded about railroads and they just don't care.

#201955  by blippo

They don't think it will ever happen to them. A train hitting them

#202460  by GOLDEN-ARM

How would "trying to beat the train" be different, if there were no lights? Stupidity is stupidity, whether lights are at the crossing, or not. Unprotected crossings, by law, are to be stopped at, or yielded at, to give right of way to approaching trains. Love trains, the giant "pool filter" on the human gene pool, removing those unfit to provide DNA for future offspring....... :-D

#202503  by B&A_Railfan

Folks try to beat the train all the time even with lights and gates. It makes no diffrence it seems. Everyone's in a big hurry to go nowhere. I've seen some real beauties at the grade crossings here.

#202691  by CSX Conductor

Welcome aboard B&A Railfan.

I have no sympathy for idiots who take the chance at a crossing. As mentioned before, it is illegal, but people will never change that and will continue to attempt to beat the train and risk their lives along with the lives of their passenger (many of them are innocent children), in order to avoid waiting for the train to pass. I'd rather wait a few minutes.

I'm sure that it is safe to say that B&A Railfan has seen a great deal of people running around gates when trains are approaching where he often views CSX trains.

#202710  by emd_SD_60

More incidents like this clean up the gene pool... :wink: People who drive around the gates when a train is approaching piss me off. Out at my usual spot I have witnessed this more often... I usually yell out "YOU IDIOT" towards them (not effective, but hey) :wink: . Only time will tell when i'll be treated to a ringside show of a train vs. car accident... :-)

Speaking of which, one of the vehicles I witnessed was a tractor-trailer... this retard couldn't wait, so he decides to GO around the gates... right as they were coming down, the train was the Amtrak (not up to full speed yet, but moving a good deal), so he oughta be lucky his truck didn't end up as a piece of scrap. He then turned to go up the road beside the tracks up to the coal loading dock in the rail yard...moron. I thought of waiting until he got out so I could go lecture him on what he did... :P But I did flip him the bird as he turned into the yard...LOL.