Railroad Forums 

• Smoking policies

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#422608  by scharnhorst

uhaul wrote:You can only smoke a minimum distance of about 200 feet away from a hospital entrance and no place where there is a roof. This leads to kids making a hole in the bus stop roof.
good point! I rember a few years ago 8 kids burned down an abandoned factory in the Auburn area along Route's 5 & 20 due to them playing with matches and a cigerett.

#422650  by charlie6017

Let's try to steer back toward Conrail's smoking policies........thanks!

#423372  by trainwayne1

After watching an EMD that has been idling for hours get throttled up and watching the sky filled with smoke, worrying about someone smoking a cigarette in the cab of a locomotive seems pretty trivial. If the railroads were that concerned about the enviorment, they would retire all the locomotives that they have that don't meet todays smoke standards....but THAT would cost THEM and the stockholders a ton of money.
......"Let's worry about the peanuts while the elephants are trampling us to death" !!
Perhaps the railroad can ban eating junk food in the cabs? I'm sure that statistics would show that more many people die every year from the effects of obesity than smoking.

#423534  by conrail_engineer

trainwayne1 wrote:After watching an EMD that has been idling for hours get throttled up and watching the sky filled with smoke, worrying about someone smoking a cigarette in the cab of a locomotive seems pretty trivial. If the railroads were that concerned about the enviorment, they would retire all the locomotives that they have that don't meet todays smoke standards....but THAT would cost THEM and the stockholders a ton of money.
......"Let's worry about the peanuts while the elephants are trampling us to death" !!
Perhaps the railroad can ban eating junk food in the cabs? I'm sure that statistics would show that more many people die every year from the effects of obesity than smoking.
Correct. Let's face it...a locomotive cab is one of the dirtiest industrial settings you'll find in America. With the oily dust, the brake shavings, metal filings (BTW that's the rust sheen that settles on cab roofs - the cab isn't rusty, the METAL DUST falls there and rusts)...

...a little cigarette smoke is almost welcome, compared to the noxious fumes coming out of the toilet compartment.

But it's not about health or even insurance costs, IMO. It's about grinding their heel in their subordinates' necks.

I see the same horse-droppings out there today. SAVE FUEL, they shreik at us - and bust us for not shutting down equipment when THEY think we should.

Yet, all the stopping and starting from poor dispatching and planning, surely wastes more fuel than an hour's idling...

#423672  by Noel Weaver

trainwayne1 wrote:After watching an EMD that has been idling for hours get throttled up and watching the sky filled with smoke, worrying about someone smoking a cigarette in the cab of a locomotive seems pretty trivial. If the railroads were that concerned about the enviorment, they would retire all the locomotives that they have that don't meet todays smoke standards....but THAT would cost THEM and the stockholders a ton of money.
I don't know if you work on locomotives or not but if you do not, you are
not qualified to comment on this and if you do, you should show some
consideration for those in the majority who in these days DO NOT SMOKE.
The rule was put in effect for a good reason. After it was put into effect,
I could get off an engine without my clothes stinking of tobacco smoke and
I could breathe easier while I had to be in the cab.
I think this topic has gone far enough and I suggest that it be locked
before it becomes personal.
Noel Weaver

#423673  by Noel Weaver

I don't know if you work on locomotives or not but if you do not, you are
not qualified to comment on this and if you do, you should show some
consideration for those in the majority who in these days DO NOT SMOKE.
The rule was put in effect for a good reason. After it was put into effect,
I could get off an engine without my clothes stinking of tobacco smoke and
I could breathe easier while I had to be in the cab.
I think this topic has gone far enough and I suggest that it be locked
before it becomes personal.
Noel Weaver

#423674  by charlie6017

Yeah, I think this topic has ran it's course........