Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#187174  by trainsinmaine

A short time ago I came across an old photo of a large and impressive trestle that existed just southeast of Cookshire. Spanning the Eaton River, it carried the track of the former Hereford Rwy. (later Maine Central, still later CP) that used to go from Cookshire to Sawyerville and originally down into New Hampshire. The CP abandoned the Cookshire-to-Sawyerville segment in 1977.

I'm wondering if this bridge is still standing. It would be quite an attraction for railfans and rail historians, I would think.
 #200743  by Dave Poor

That trestle at Eaton Corner is long gone, sad to say. I was there in 2000 and researched the line because that is the line I model, from Bartlett to Lime Ridge. You can drive quite a lot of the old roadbed in places. I drove from Sawyerville almost to Beecher Falls. There was very little of the old roadbed not driveable. Same goes from Sawyerville north. Much of the old roadbed there is drivable or at least find-able. One building at Lime Ridge is still there, that being the old storage shed that was across the station. As of 2000, it was intact. If you have anymore questions, feel free to email me offline at:

[email protected]

Thanks!
Happy New Year to all!!
Dave Poor
St. Johnsbury, Vermont at MP131 on the MEC MTN Sub