Railroad Forums 

• CN Business Train E9's

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#46419  by cpr_trains

MC8000 wrote:The new bastardized paint scheme on the E's looks terrible. I was very disappointed when I saw it. I hate to see classic equipment like this painted up in a scheme that does NOTHING to accentuate streamlined lines of the units, or pay attention to the CANADIAN NATIONAL's colorful, rich history. The business train might just as well be headed up by a SD-70. Sorry to be so negative, but this was an opportunity to show some class on the part of CN and respect for the great history of the company and the people that created it. :((
Even though I completely agree that this is a lousy paint scheme and that there may be some possibility that the new livery is yet another step in removing the "Canadian" from Canadian National, don't forget that other railroads have gone through this same counter-heritage phase over the past 40 years. Moreover, they're also not the first to dump an attractive paint scheme for something aesthetically lacking.

Throughout the mid-1970s up into the 1990s, it could be argued that CP was notorious for poor-PR and a lack of concern for their heritage as a Canadian institution. Furthermore, when it comes to bad ideas for paint schemes, all I'll say is ex-PRR GG1s in Amtrak colours. 'Nuff said.

Regardless, I also prefer the green, gold and black. This new paint scheme makes the engines look like a mid-1980s low-end HO scale toy model. Add a pair of incorrectly placed, yellow plastic horns and the look is complete.

#46476  by Dieter

Terry C,

I dislike the new scheme on the cars. I don't think the locomotives are too bad, and for a looooong time, I've felt the noodle on the nose was undersized, almost looking puny while dwarfed by the size of modern locomotives. It still is.

The classic 1954 scheme is more along the lines of "varnish", which one would assume a business train's image should convey. I understand everyone's preference for the 1954 scheme overall, but I don't understand the distaste for the locomotive paint job.

Want to talk about ugly business train schemes? How about the Conrail train that was vintage "Troop Train" green? Now, we have the soon to be vintage CN Hospital Train to go with it! We should be glad that the classic heavy weight observations haven't had large single plate windows installed, replacing the end platform, as other roads have done.

Dieter.
 #46485  by missthealcos

cpr_trains wrote:
MC8000 wrote:The new bastardized paint scheme on the E's looks terrible. I was very disappointed when I saw it. I hate to see classic equipment like this painted up in a scheme that does NOTHING to accentuate streamlined lines of the units, or pay attention to the CANADIAN NATIONAL's colorful, rich history. The business train might just as well be headed up by a SD-70. Sorry to be so negative, but this was an opportunity to show some class on the part of CN and respect for the great history of the company and the people that created it. :((
Even though I completely agree that this is a lousy paint scheme and that there may be some possibility that the new livery is yet another step in removing the "Canadian" from Canadian National, don't forget that other railroads have gone through this same counter-heritage phase over the past 40 years. Moreover, they're also not the first to dump an attractive paint scheme for something aesthetically lacking.

Throughout the mid-1970s up into the 1990s, it could be argued that CP was notorious for poor-PR and a lack of concern for their heritage as a Canadian institution. Furthermore, when it comes to bad ideas for paint schemes, all I'll say is ex-PRR GG1s in Amtrak colours. 'Nuff said.

Regardless, I also prefer the green, gold and black. This new paint scheme makes the engines look like a mid-1980s low-end HO scale toy model. Add a pair of incorrectly placed, yellow plastic horns and the look is complete.

All very true, CP was very anti Heritage....The new CN buisness train colours ARE intended to eliminate the Canadian National name. Don't forget the memo to all employees, warning them not to use any of the variations of the real name, only CN. And once again, be sure to let us know the second anyone seees the IC painted business equipment in this new scheme..I predict it will be a long wait.

The yellow plastic horns comment is so incredibly perfect!

#46860  by Dieter

Then how long will CN last? It sure looks like it's headed to IC!

For an outfit destined for a merger, I've seen a LOT of IC rolling stock, in what looks like fresh paint!

Dieter.
 #52845  by cariboo1946

2 years ago, this same equipment made a trip on BC Rail, and when I had a chance to see it, I was really proud. The engines (101 & 102) were still in running order, twin motors in each, modified with 26-L brake and the steam generator was replaced with a power unit, but basically, they were still the same as they were, when they were in regular passenger service, in the 50's, complete with the two tone green paint, accented with gold, and the name CANADIAN NATIONAL emblazoned on a Maple Leaf. The coaches still had their original names, Sir Henry Fleming, etc., plus a smaller number for proper identification.

Two weeks ago, I was called as a conductor to bring this train south out of Exeter, BC (100 Mile House). When I arrived, I was aghast at the sight presenting itself to me. These beautiful heritage engines and cars were now an ugly blight, compared to their older beauty. Funny thing though, coach 100, which is the private car for the Chairman of the Board (a Vancouver lawyer), was still painted the old scheme. I was told that he informed E.H.H. that he could paint any of the other cars he wanted, but HE HAD TO LEAVE HIS CAR ALONE, IN THE ORIGINAL PAINT!!

I'm not against progress, but that doesn't mean throwing our heritage away either. Let's suppose that a new fool was elected to the Presidency of the United States, and he decided that he didn't like the Stars and Stripes, instead he opted for a new flag, quite similar to that of the State of Texas, so now that he's the new boss, out with the old, in with the new, and said new was chosen by him because it wiped out the heritage. Would my neighbours to the south of me stand for that?? I think not, they wouldn't like it any more than I like these heavy handed new American bosses deciding that CN is the only name, and CANADIAN NATIONAL no longer exists, in any format, including the colors.

cariboo1946

#52849  by missthealcos

I couldn't agree more!!!!!

I had been wondering about 100, "Pacific Spirit"...it was conspicuously left in the PROPER colours, I had hoped it somehow escaped the horrible new paintjob, good to hear it has. Paul Tellier was bad enough, EHH is unbelievebly bad.

#54014  by trainiac

I was very pleased when I first saw the E9As in green and gold...

Then I saw a drawing of an E9 with the new paint scheme. I thought it was a "what-if". I couldn't understand why a fat stripe outlined with white pinstripes was depicted. Then I saw a photo of the real thing--exactly the same. I was disgusted!

I bet this "de-Canadianization" thing will eventually go away, if CANADIAN NATIONAL (as I will always know it :wink:) follows CPR's lead.

#120169  by AmtrakFan

AS of 2004 the IC train was still in IC paint.

#123064  by Tadman

I think it's a mediocre revival of the Alan Fleming scheme. I agree with the comments that the circus cars should be either green/gold or black/white. If we're going to promote this CN thing, nothing is better than the black/white with the big red CN noodle next to the door. Best of luck to them, but nobody cares to be honest. When the MNCRR repainted FL9's and P32DM's into McGinnes colors, a story was reported in Trains Mag as such: A P32DM pulls in, the conductor tells the lady that locomotives have been painted this way for over fifty years. Her response: "Wow, these must be junk if they're fifty years old". Nobody notices anymore when all the passenger trains are run by governments and the freight roads are only marketing B2B services. They should focus their creative energry elsewhere. Especially in the absence of a steam program, the general public doesn't know CN from TFM from BYOB.