Railroad Forums 

• Dead SD50F

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#236238  by BlackDog

Well, that's one. I can't wait for the rest of them to go.
 #236345  by Komachi

Cowl units...

Draiper bodies...

The scurge of switching, engine and maintenance crews everywhere. I'm surprised that with the units that have been wrecked and/or retired over the years, there hasn't been a program to retrofit them into standard "hood" units. (Shrug) Oh well, at least it's a wrecked unit being scrapped and not a "pristine" one. (Not so much a fan of the cowl units (except for the "covered wagons" and the F40C's) as someone who is not a fan of seeing perfectly good units (as limited as their capacities may be, cowls may still be used as trailing units... horsepower is horsepower) being retired or scrapped before their time.)

#238499  by trainiac

...Are you really sure that unit's not waiting to be repaired? The accident occured only a few days before that photo was taken, in the yard next to where the engine is sitting. Furthermore, if CN really didn't like the 3500 hp prime mover, they probably would have downrated it to 3000 hp by now, which is what CSX has done to their SD50's.

#238592  by CN_Hogger

I hate to say it, but we'll probably have them around for quite some time. I'm one of the few engineer's that doesn't mind them too much. The desktop controls suck, but the limited view rearward never bothered me. Unless we're talking summertime, then I can't stand them, 0 air circulation!

#238875  by ENR3870

They have been downrated, CN derated them to 3200 hp.

#239006  by jg greenwood

BlackDog wrote:Well, that's one. I can't wait for the rest of them to go.
I agree! I was unfortunate enough to be forced to endure one of these pieces of dung recently. IIRC, the CN 5402? The complete consist was this hammered little jewel, the CN 5411, IC 6128-6010. (81x57-12,222-8800'). Never did load properly, everytime I went to set-up for the dynamic brakes the wheel-slip light came on. Hot, an over-crowded cab due to the ridiculous arrangement of the middle seat, the location of the hand-brake, etc. Send these junkers north for the duration!

#239139  by trainiac

They have been downrated, CN derated them to 3200 hp.
Thanks for the info! I didn't know that. That would probably be part of the reason they're still active.

#239164  by 2spot

Considering how nobody likes these units, I'm sorry to report this SD50F is being repaired after a sideswipe accident in Sarnia yard. Also involved in the incident was LTEX (ex-UP) SD40-2 #3916 with minor damage. The unit is being repaired at LDS in Sarnia. In fact the pictures were taken there.

#260990  by lock4244

The only retired SD50F was involved in the bridge collapse at MC Bride, BC, also claimed an SD60F and sadly, two longtime CN employees.

#261232  by ENR3870

jg greenwood wrote:
BlackDog wrote:Well, that's one. I can't wait for the rest of them to go.
Send these junkers north for the duration!
Oh sure, as if we want them lol. They should all be turned into razor blades!

#261369  by trainiac

Are they really that bad? CN has had some less satisfactory locomotives in recent decades (HR616 comes to mind) but they've hung on to the 50F's for over 20 years. Is it a matter of the traditional 50-series problems or the restricted rearward visibility (or both) ?

#261405  by GN 599

Those are the cowl bodied things arent they? I had one as a trailing unit a few months back. It looked like it had seen better days. The cab was thrashed and in the engine room there was oil and grease covering everything but the handbrake. But like I always say...at least it ran! :P

#261946  by ENR3870

I have not been one one of those SD50F's that has run properly, either TM's are cut out, DB is cut out, engine won't load, Ground Relays, engine dies on the road; a whle ago we had to double the hill from Sapperton to Sperling on the BNSF because the engine died.

#344935  by oleanfuzz

At least 2 more of these are at Canadian Allied Diesel's shops near Montreal.
5419 looks like it's prime mover has been removed and 5437? (couldn't get a clear view of the number from the highway) is sitting there with yellow danger tape across the engineer's side door. I wonder is this is the end or a new beginning for these units.

Mike

Brossard, QC