• Rockland Branch Discussion

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

• 215 posts
  by Cosakita18

Cowford wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:03 pm A new propane terminal on the Rockland branch would only serve to cannibalize traffic already being handled on SLR/CMQ/PAR. Ag/agg transload potential? Could you expand on that?
From what I recall the facility was intended to be a distribution point for local propane deliveries in the midcoast area.
  by QB 52.32

gokeefe wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:17 pm
Cowford wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:54 am If it's being trucked in from S Portland, then it's coming into S Portland by rail, no?
Yes almost certainly. I was figuring maybe a little more line haul for Pan Am and then interchange to CP.
PAR and CP are competitors in this market and as is the case most of the time, PAR would likely be in a lesser financial position interchanging to another carrier than consolidating larger volumes through a truck transload, especially if the interchange also involves movement through an alternate transload and not direct to a customer. Therefore, from PAR's perspective it would simply cannibalize their position.
  by Cowford

From what I recall the facility was intended to be a distribution point for local propane deliveries in the midcoast area.
RE QB's response... exactly. It would not generate new rail business.

Cosakita, I get propane distribution, but the region is literally surrounded by rail transfer terminals and the industry has migrated to consolidated transload facilities due to economies of scale (switch, siding and unloading infrastructure install cost and maintenance, unloader labor and related safety and training, rail service options, etc). The days of the local gas depot that received 1-2 cars a month are long gone.

The details I was fishing for was related to your comments on ag or aggregate transloading opportunities.

If I recall, 5-10 years ago there was a siding rebuilt (likely with State of Maine funds) at a warehouse in Rockland for the purpose of bringing in frozen fish for lobstermen. It turned out to be another example of a... wait for it... bait-and-switch scheme that went nowhere.
  by gokeefe

Cowford wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:07 amIt turned out to be another example of a... wait for it... bait-and-switch scheme that went nowhere.
Bonus points for the double pun. :-D
  by KSmitty

Cowford wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:07 amIt turned out to be another example of a... wait for it... bait-and-switch scheme that went nowhere.
Every once in a while I see something on here that makes me wish the forums, like Facebook, had a "like" button. There's no real response to this, but it certainly is worth a little thumbs up!