• Rockland Branch Discussion

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

• 252 posts
  by gokeefe

That line is almost pure passenger potential. I suspect the State will have that in mind going forward. I think that the CMQ decision was based on a desire to achieve additional revenues at the time. They don't amounts were probably meaningless.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by CN9634

Never mind the fact M&E was asking for subsidies from the state to continue operations....
  by MEC407

Subsidies for freight or subsidies for passenger?
  by CN9634

In my laziness, can someone confirm if in fact MaineDOT owns the roundhouse? I need to quickly contact the owner
  by MEC407

Yes.
  by CN9634

Turnover set to happen this Fall assuming all goes well. Finger Lakes owner or CEO? owns a house up in the Midcoast of Maine allegedly so that might make some sense.
  by JBlaisdell

I noticed a new industrial building or warehouse going up next to the line where it crosses under Rte 1 at the Brunswick/ Bath line. It looks like it's going to have an indoor siding. It's good to see potential new traffic on this line.
  by CN9634

Yes, it's another steel guy. Cement I'm told by rail is coming back this Fall too, so maybe we'll see a more regular operation to the line.

I always thought the dirt lot at Cooks Corner directly adjacent the tracks was a prime transload site waiting for development, with the extinction of homegrown shortlines in Maine underway, it could be an opportunity for a smaller opportunity with some out-of-the-box thinking to do some more business in the Brunswick area (think maybe Grimmels could work out as well)
  by MEC407

Did Finger Lakes officially get chosen as the new operator or are we still waiting for an official decision? Were there any other bidders, and if so, who were they?
  by CN9634

The way it went down is CP informed the state they would find a new operator to take over the lease, not a competitive bid process as far as I know.
  by Shortline614

At this moment, Finger Lakes is just one of the bidders. The only reason we know they are interested is because a couple of their high railers were spotted along the line a month or two back. No official word about the Rockland Branch from anybody.