Railroad Forums 

• Rockland Branch Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1539964  by Cowford

From what I recall the facility was intended to be a distribution point for local propane deliveries in the midcoast area.
RE QB's response... exactly. It would not generate new rail business.

Cosakita, I get propane distribution, but the region is literally surrounded by rail transfer terminals and the industry has migrated to consolidated transload facilities due to economies of scale (switch, siding and unloading infrastructure install cost and maintenance, unloader labor and related safety and training, rail service options, etc). The days of the local gas depot that received 1-2 cars a month are long gone.

The details I was fishing for was related to your comments on ag or aggregate transloading opportunities.

If I recall, 5-10 years ago there was a siding rebuilt (likely with State of Maine funds) at a warehouse in Rockland for the purpose of bringing in frozen fish for lobstermen. It turned out to be another example of a... wait for it... bait-and-switch scheme that went nowhere.
 #1540016  by gokeefe

Cowford wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:07 amIt turned out to be another example of a... wait for it... bait-and-switch scheme that went nowhere.
Bonus points for the double pun. :-D
 #1540037  by KSmitty

Cowford wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:07 amIt turned out to be another example of a... wait for it... bait-and-switch scheme that went nowhere.
Every once in a while I see something on here that makes me wish the forums, like Facebook, had a "like" button. There's no real response to this, but it certainly is worth a little thumbs up!
 #1549731  by BostonUrbEx

Would CP have the legal option to end the Rockland Branch lease that was originally negotiated between CMQ and the State of Maine? My assumption is that CP would want to dump that as soon as legally possible, which would be the next lease negotiation, and no sooner.
 #1550065  by Cosakita18

When is the next negotiation? CP can probably hold on for a year or two, it's not like they have to do any work on the line itself, and the two customers are reliable and consistent. But you're right they'll absolutely want to ditch it when the time comes.
 #1550087  by MEC407

I think it must be profitable, otherwise the state would not have received any bids to operate it.

How big the profit is, is anyone's guess.
 #1550092  by MaineCentral252

My assumption has always been that the Rockland branch just "exists" as far as CP is concerned. Not a major money maker by any means, but not a money loser either. Of course, I doubt CP wants it in the long term for any reason, but for now it's just there not bothering anybody. Whoever operates it is of course at the mercy of everyone's favorite well-managed railroad for interchange, so that may be another factor at play in the coming months/years.
 #1550113  by gokeefe

If Canadian National buys Pan Am Railways it will be interesting to see if CP bails out ... Fascinating to think of Brunswick as suddenly becoming an interchange point for not one but two (!!) Class I railroads. Probably the strangest possible outcome of them all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1550154  by MERailFanJay

BandA wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:17 am Is the Rockland branch unprofitable?
Should be profitable since it was profitable enough for Maine Eastern since the freight line subsidized their passenger excursions for 10+ years.
 #1550158  by gokeefe

I concur with that analysis as well. The cement runs and perlite definitely pay the bills and then some.

#1550188  by Cosakita18

A related question: how many years of useful life does the Dragon plant and quarry have left? Those types of quarries run dry eventually and when that happens it's probably game over for freight service on the branch.
 #1550243  by gokeefe

They have enough for at least 30-50 more years per a 2016 report.
With this positive outlook, Dragon is ready to expand. It recently received approval to extend its its active quarry north of Route 1 by 50 acres to the northeast, its first expansion since 1994. This will provide enough limestone of the quality needed for 20 years of cement production at the plant. The company plans to begin the expansion this year.

Plant Manager Ray Degrass projects the plant will continue operating for another 30 to 50 years.

#1551446  by Cosakita18

Noticed today's eastbound Portland local heading to Brunswick had three boxcars (two of them with CP reporting marks) mixed in with all the normal Rockland branch traffic. Any idea what that could be about? Or are those boxes just along for the ride so to speak.
 #1551555  by gokeefe

Interesting catch and very unusual. I can't even begin to imagine who those would be for ...