Railroad Forums 

• CENTRAL MAINE & QUEBEC RAILWAY (CMQ) — New Owner of MMA

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1250706  by KSmitty

Pulled this from LocoNotes. Thought it might be of interest here.
John Friedman on LocoNotes wrote:With the recent sale of the MMA to an affiliate of Fortress Investment Group, the following locomotives are planned to be excluded from the sale(which has not yet closed), per court documents. This means these locomotives would be disposed of separately as part of the bankruptcy process, although they could be sold to the new owners of MMA separately:

21, 23 EMD GP7u
79 EMD GP9
100 EMD GP7
2000 GE B23-7
3000 GE C30-7M
3603, 3609, 3613-3614 GE C30-7
5016-5018, 5021, 5023, 5026, 5078 GE C30-7
8525, 8541, 8546, 8553, 8569, 8578, 8583, 8592 GE B39-8
[quote=""cappinchuck" on LocoNotes"]
"I believe that these units are owned by Bangor Savings Bank as they had liens in placed on them. They will be auctioned off this spring.
Six B23-7s, 2001 - 2006 were sold to Fortress, as well as a GP7U and B39-8 that were parted out units. Not sure if they will be kept or not.
Other locomotives on property but owned by Railworld (were leased to the MMA) were the C39-8s and a few old SD40-2s (mostly scrap). The F40M-2 number 450 is also still on property. About 8 CEFX SD40-2s are stored servicable (With one requiring a new fuel tank)."[/quote]

Basically it looks like Fortress took exactly as many of the 4 axle units as they needed to operate the Searsport and East Millinocket subs, plus the poorer branches out of Farnham. I would assume SD40-2's will rule the road (maybe/hopefully a few of the FEC units) but maybe we'll see some bigger power. There were lots of C40-8's floating around last year.
Last edited by KSmitty on Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1250764  by Gilbert B Norman

In short. Mr. Smith has clearly established that Fortress will be 'starting from Ground Zero' with regards to motive power.

Good Lord, I can recall when those noted B-39's were leased power on the BN during the 1980's.

If now-CMQ has light axle weight bridges to address on their property, why would they be interested in 4 axle units? Judging from how MM&A was operated, those units were all that Eddie could scrounge up at a price he was prepared to pay.
 #1250779  by Cowford

"officals from Greenville were pretty committed to... getting the facility online."

How's that? They don't own it, do they?

I don't think I'd hold my breath to see that steam plant back on-line. Its spotty history (revolving door of ownership, many shutdowns) does not inspire confidence. It's been closed since early 2011 due to low gas prices and expected subsidies not developing... There was a new owner announced 14 months ago, but no evidence they ever got past a letter of intent.

Let's say it did fire up. One of the articles stated that the plant could burn up to 200,000 tons of wood chips annually. Good amount of carloads... but really, would the owner foot several million to put in a spur/unloading infrastructure, plus secure a fleet of 75-100 chip cars rather than source fuel locally as has historically been done?
 #1250782  by KSmitty

Gilbert B Norman wrote:If now-CMQ has light axle weight bridges to address on their property, why would they be interested in 4 axle units?
I don't think its so much light axle weight as it is light weight. A B23 is going to weigh significantly less than an SD40-2, even if the axle weight is a little higher. Also some of the industrial tracks may be too tight for 6 axles, a lot of mills have some pretty tight radii in the complex to scoot between buildings, etc...Would be a problem if E. Millinocket ever ships again, and may be a matter of concern elsewhere, Searsport has a few flange squeelers even with the B39's.
 #1250784  by MEC407

I concur. MMA started out with a mix of C30-7s and B39-8s. Mid-way through the company's history, they sold a few of the B39-8s and replaced them B23-7s. The C30s (and later the C39s and SD40-2s) are fine for mainline road trains, but they needed smaller, more versatile power for branchline trains, locals, yard jobs, etc.

Speaking of the B23s, I've no idea what kind of condition they're in currently, but they were good runners when MMA acquired them. BNSF maintained them very well. They were a smart buy, in my opinion.
 #1250792  by Gilbert B Norman

Ref: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 4&t=154747" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Possibly when this new motive power enters service on the FEC, some of their apparently well-maintained GP-40's can be released to CMQ. Likely one would want locomotives that have never operated in revenue serve at temps much below 40F to be phased in during the autumn months so CMQ could see how these warm blooded animals will react to their new environment.

But, even if CMQ decals were slapped on former FEC Blue units , that would certainly send a message to on-line shippers of "we're a railroad that is here to stay - and we intend to make it pay".
 #1250805  by MEC407

Gilbert B Norman wrote:...if CMQ decals were slapped on former FEC Blue units...
A possible glimpse of things to come? :wink:
Attachments:
55-fec-419-emd-gp40-2.GIF
55-fec-419-emd-gp40-2.GIF (25.85 KiB) Viewed 4920 times
 #1250845  by fogg1703

Cowford wrote:Let's say it did fire up. One of the articles stated that the plant could burn up to 200,000 tons of wood chips annually. Good amount of carloads... but really, would the owner foot several million to put in a spur/unloading infrastructure, plus secure a fleet of 75-100 chip cars rather than source fuel locally as has historically been done?
Given the fact that none of MMA's chip cars are involved in the transaction with Fortress, I would say that about that many will become available once the sale is final. Unless of course NBSR has already worked out a deal for the chip cars to recoup some of their debt? Any insight Mr CN9634 into other freight car comings and goings? The leases on about 225 boxes will be assumed it looks like by CMQ at least for a year as well as around 70 BAR/MMA Log racks are staying put. Will CP call home the 14 bulkhead flats on lease?
 #1250957  by CN9634

fogg1703 wrote:
Cowford wrote:Let's say it did fire up. One of the articles stated that the plant could burn up to 200,000 tons of wood chips annually. Good amount of carloads... but really, would the owner foot several million to put in a spur/unloading infrastructure, plus secure a fleet of 75-100 chip cars rather than source fuel locally as has historically been done?
Given the fact that none of MMA's chip cars are involved in the transaction with Fortress, I would say that about that many will become available once the sale is final. Unless of course NBSR has already worked out a deal for the chip cars to recoup some of their debt? Any insight Mr CN9634 into other freight car comings and goings? The leases on about 225 boxes will be assumed it looks like by CMQ at least for a year as well as around 70 BAR/MMA Log racks are staying put. Will CP call home the 14 bulkhead flats on lease?
EJ Carrier is purchasing railcars. It wasn't clear if that was part of the $1M investment or not but it is certainly possible. You should seem them turn up all over the State.

CM&Q is currently putting all of these pieces together. They have 6 weeks to do about 6 months work of planning. I'm sure you will see cars show up pretty soon.
 #1251027  by CPF363

MEC407 wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:...if CMQ decals were slapped on former FEC Blue units...
A possible glimpse of things to come? :wink:
Great paint scheme for the engine, although, they forgot to put the "accent aigu" over the first "e" in Quebec to read Québec.
 #1251171  by MEC407

Fixed it! :-D

I wonder if the opposite side of the locomotive will read Chemin de Fer Centre Maine et Québec? :-)