Railroad Forums 

• Acela Speeds

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1448118  by Arlington

ApproachMedium wrote:The NS line is not the empire corridor. so them doing it there is a line with no passenger service.
Yes, in the great Conrail divvy-up, CSX got the New York Central (Empire Corridor) and NS got the Erie (in/through Hornell). The Erie actually has some nice "valley floor" running, straight and flat near & through Hornell, so it must be one of these that Alstom is looking to upgrade (and presumably electrify)
 #1487673  by Matt Johnson

Nice telephoto shot of all the new catenary hardware, taken in January 2018. The last time I was at Princeton Junction a couple of months ago, constant tension wires were in place on tracks 1, 3, and 4 with track 2 possibly underway now.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/672750/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1487675  by Amtrak706

Did Amtrak ever get a response on their petition to increase FRA Tier II speeds to 160 mph for this County to Ham upgrade? The latest thing I can find online is the announcement for the final decision to occur 12/00/2017 (yes, the FRA site says the 0th of December, so possibly the decision happened in the Twilight Zone).

I will say that the timing on their waiver submission was unfortunate, as a major part of their lobbying was relying upon the NEC’s proven safety record and the waiver was submitted in February 2015, right before Amtrak’s series of major wrecks around the country started.
 #1487678  by east point

Matt Johnson wrote:Nice telephoto shot of all the new catenary hardware, taken in January 2018. The last time I was at Princeton Junction a couple of months ago, constant tension wires were in place on tracks 1, 3, and 4 with track 2 possibly underway now.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/672750/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

interesting. Wonder why the hardware for the present siding ? Maybe a future main track ?
 #1487708  by ApproachMedium

The hardware on the siding is for the nassau running track for the dinky. when the old poles come down, they need a place to hold the wire up so that was installed.

I dont think the speeds are going to get increased. The outside tracks were supposed to go up to 125mph with the completion of the work, which is now completed on the two outside tracks and here we are diddling along at 110mph if you arent following transit trains.
 #1487974  by OportRailfan

Matt Johnson wrote:
bostontrainguy wrote:Excerpt:

In addition to the three buildings going up in short order, Alstom and its team of engineers will have to build a test track for the trains capable of speeds of 184 miles per hour.
184 is an odd figure that I assume is just a result of an incorrect conversion of 300 kph, which is actually 186.416 mph. :)
To be "OK'ed" for new MAS by the FRA, you need to demonstrate the ability to safely run 10-15% (I forget the exact figure) above what you want your MAS to be.

160mph * 1.15 = 184mph. There's your answer.

They're testing 15% above their target MAS.
 #1487984  by bostontrainguy

Regardless of saving a minute or two with 160 mph operation, wouldn't it be good for Amtrak to have a piece of high-speed track somewhere to experience the maintenance and necessary operational realities of running such so they can have some real-time experience for running future high-speed rail operation. Wasn't this also supposed to be a test bed?
 #1487998  by Nasadowsk

Posting from a TGV Duplex heading to Paris, Amtrak’s got a LONG way to go, if they think they can do this...
 #1488060  by CentralValleyRail

This 165MPH zone was originally suppose to be completed last year, well be lucky to see it done by 2020...
 #1488062  by ApproachMedium

It should be done by the end of this year/start of next year but there probably wont be a speed change, and they only completed the constant tension upgrade for about 8 miles vs the 13 or so they were supposed to do. All because catenary poles were not going up fast enough.
 #1488146  by daybeers

ApproachMedium wrote:It should be done by the end of this year/start of next year but there probably wont be a speed change, and they only completed the constant tension upgrade for about 8 miles vs the 13 or so they were supposed to do. All because catenary poles were not going up fast enough.
Wow this makes me so frustrated.
 #1488158  by Amtrak706

ApproachMedium wrote:It should be done by the end of this year/start of next year but there probably wont be a speed change, and they only completed the constant tension upgrade for about 8 miles vs the 13 or so they were supposed to do. All because catenary poles were not going up fast enough.
Did their waiver for upping Tier II to 160 mph ever get approved or denied?
 #1488251  by ApproachMedium

I dont work in the waiver dept so I have no idea, and i havent heard anything. I only work in the gas brake honk dept.
 #1488493  by STrRedWolf

ApproachMedium wrote:I dont work in the waiver dept so I have no idea, and i havent heard anything. I only work in the gas brake honk dept.
I take it "Talk to the dispatcher" falls under "honk"? :)

That said, correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't Tier I supposed to be 125 MPH and above rated?
 #1488502  by east point

Was it installation problems due to unknown underground conduit / cables. Or was it slow delivery of poles ? Or soething else ?