Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Auto Train Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1529780  by gokeefe

1 Mass Ave in my opinion is the more nimble and flexible of the two (if you can bring yourself to believe that possibility!).
 #1529990  by Tadman

Keep in mind it's one thing what the contract calls for, another what is a good idea for customer service good vibes. The contract in my mind is a last chance recourse. If I was Amtrak and we lost your auto on a siding in the Carolinas, I'd either rent you a car or see if we can pause a Virginia corridor train at the VRE Lorton station and get you aboard to somewhere on the NEC, because we want you coming back for more rides.

In a similar case last a few weeks ago, Delta biffed on a one of my connections. It wasn't on a single booking, so they didn't owe me a re-booking, but they did it anyway because I'm a good customer and they don't want me going to American. Little secret - neither do I! Delta is much better.
 #1530149  by Literalman

Just a thought on passengers using Lorton or Sanford without having a car on board: if they're being dropped at or picked up at the station, it might not be a problem for them, but if they are driving to the station and making a round trip, I suppose they would want to ride Auto Train in both directions so they could return to where they left the car. This might be a problem with standby ticketing.
 #1530159  by Gilbert B Norman

I noted this over at the active parallel Auto Train topic; I've booked Voyage 25; #52(26JAN) Bedroom J Car 5240 $693.

Last year, their $900+ fare for same simply pushed my "obscenity button".This fare is also "a mite bit more palatable" than was $814 two years ago. So maybe they got "scolded" for getting too greedy.

Supposedly, the new amenities will be available for this journey, but we shall see. It will also be interesting to see if the "food truck" concept is in place for those traveling Coach.

I'm expecting nothing beyond transportation. The food on my recent journeys was just plain vile; the "Happy Hour" discontinued during '14 was also no big loss. That was the year I last "walked the train". I got challenged by a Conductor who asked if I was a spy - all because I know how to walk aboard a train and appear, because I simply have more "situational awareness" than do most other passengers.

So, I'll have my bottle and my New York Times and could well ask for Dinner in the room, as the older I get, the less "social" this 78yo becomes.
 #1530879  by Gilbert B Norman

An X-post from Diner discussion:

It shall be interesting to see to what extent , if at all, these "service enhancements" are in place for my upcoming "Voyage 25" on 52(26):

https://amtrak.com/alert/auto-train-202 ... ments.html

Considering my admitted cynicism regarding Amtrak LD's, I'm expecting nothing other than a ride and vehicle transport. I could be looking at a "Why, Why, Why", if this were strictly a joyride, but so long as I have a Lunch scheduled in Stafford on arrival Monday, and wish to make two "bootleg" stops at "grape juice dispensaries" before heading West to a tie up in Akron, there is a purpose for using AT.
 #1530884  by Tadman

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:24 am and wish to make two "bootleg" stops at "grape juice dispensaries" before heading West to a tie up in Akron, there is a purpose for using AT.

It wasn't these guys that asked you to pick up the merchandise, was it?
 #1530891  by Gilbert B Norman

Tadman wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:18 pmIt wasn't these guys that asked you to pick up the merchandise, was it?
Mr. Dunville, it is perfectly lawful to purchase wine in Virginia, pay applicable "Sales Tax", and transport such back to Illinois. There the purchaser is liable for Use Tax, which is the excess, if any, of the uniform 6.25% rate over what was paid to the Out of State jurisdiction.

Now we know how dutifully every Illinois resident pays THAT tax; of course we do! (I just add an arbitrary amount to my Income Tax Return and simply "move on").

Illinois is a state that does not allow Virginia producers to ship wine from Virginia. For reason, ask your friendly Beverage Distributor and/or their friends in Springfield.
 #1531088  by Gilbert B Norman

The new AT Menu, featuring a Flat Iron Steak and one glass of "comp" wine, is now available at the website.

Flat Iron if properly prepared, can be a very tasty cut of beef, even if it's somewhat "tough". Guarantee the Amtrak varietal will be one of those properties - guess which one.

One glass? come on! Well, I'll just make sure I have a little "room stock" to go along with my "Times reading hour" (it's sold at both the SFA and LOR Faber shops).

Again, I'm expecting nothing beyond passenger and vehicle transport.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1531091  by lordsigma12345

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:33 am The new AT Menu is now available through the website:

(I'll add URL link when I get to my "Desktop")

It features a Flat Iron Steak and one glass of "comp" wine.

Flat Iron if properly prepared, can be a very tasty cut of beef, even if it's somewhat "tough". Guarantee the Amtrak varietal will be one of those properties - guess which one.

One glass? come on! Well, I'll just make sure I have a little "room stock" to go along with my "Times reading hour" (it's sold at both the SFA and LOR Faber shops).

Again, I'm expecting nothing beyond passenger and vehicle transport.
This menu has actually been on the train for a while - it was on the train when I rode in October but the website still showed the old one. I rode it both ways and had the flat iron and pasta meal. I am not a fan of flat iron steak generally so I can’t totally judge on whether it was an ok one - it was edible but again flat iron isn't my favorite. Some people at my table said they liked it. I preferred the pasta meal I had coming home. The only thing that wasn’t present yet when I rode was the free first wine. I did very much enjoy the dessert chocolate cake. Being a relatively new Amtrak rider (I am 33 and rode an overnight Amtrak for my first time in my late 20s) I sadly cannot compare to the best days of rail travel (or even older amtrak fare) - I am sure this pales in comparison. However similar to what you stated - for me the highlight of the Auto Train and the reason I use it is the utility and the ability to transport my auto and not drive. I generally have pretty low expectations about the food. I enjoy watching the world go by in my roomette and meeting people in the diner, but don't generally expect to be floored by the food.
 #1531272  by lordsigma12345

Mr. Norman since you will be on 52 soon you may find this interesting. https://www.bestfoodtrucks.com/amtraksanford . In the course of your auto train trips have you ever tried the Hollerbach Willow Tree cafe in downtown Sanford? It is right across the street from the spot where the downtown Sanford bus drops you off if you go into town. It is excellent I have gone on both of my recent northbound trips. If you have never tried it and have time to kill before departure I would highly recommend if you like German cuisine.
 #1532046  by Gilbert B Norman

Aboard 52(26)- near Hardeeville SC

First impressions after boarding

I think the Attendant, Debbie, has got to be amongst "the best of the bunch".

There are now ten Sleepers in the consist but some tonight appear to be completely blanked.

Dinner 7PM, but Debbie says she will try to have me "squeezed in".

Bedroom "J" was "hindquarters first" riding, but she said I could have "A" which is forward riding.

NO SIGN of the elusive Food Truck.

52(26)

162 PAX 92 AUTOS. 16 PSGR 22 RACKS

Dinner? well I guess an "upgrade", but a feeling "everything's rationed out". The Flat Iron Steak was cooked as ordered; don't know if I "got lucky" or if this can regularly expected.

So far, the best experience has been this exceptional Attendant: Debbie.

Just "met" 89(26)

Bedtime.💤💤💤
 #1532050  by John_Perkowski

22 auto rack cars for 92 autos. That’s four autos per auto rack, with four getting a fifth.

At a more typical loading of 9 autos per auto rack, ten cars fill and an 11th has two, the other 11 are fuel consumption tonnage.