Railroad Forums 

• Canadian Border Crossing General Topic

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#699088  by AgentSkelly

Well, I have an awnser from US CBP:

"There is no set policy on this. CBP officers may need to have the train stopped so they can safely inspect both the passengers and the train cars."

So there you go....
Last edited by AgentSkelly on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #699102  by Jishnu

george matthews wrote:
So I don't know where this nonsense about the World Customs Organization not allowing inspections on trains comes from. It most certainly has not been my experience, and I've been a few places.
Actually, I have never heard of this body. I doubt if it has any authority, if it exists, but possibly just passes information about techniques.
Google is you friend. Here you go:
About

The World Customs Organization (WCO) is the only intergovernmental organisation exclusively focused on Customs matters. With its worldwide membership, the WCO is now recognised as the voice of the global Customs community. It is particularly noted for its work in areas covering the development of global standards, the simplification and harmonisation of Customs procedures, trade supply chain security, the facilitation of international trade, the enhancement of Customs enforcement and compliance activities, anti-counterfeiting and piracy initiatives, public-private partnerships, integrity promotion, and sustainable global Customs capacity building programmes. The WCO also maintains the international Harmonized System goods nomenclature, and administers the technical aspects of the WTO Agreements on Customs Valuation and Rules of Origin.

History

The history of the WCO began in 1947 when the thirteen European Governments represented in the Committee for European Economic Co-operation agreed to set up a Study Group. This Group examined the possibility of establishing one or more inter-European Customs Unions based on the principles of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT).

In 1948, the Study Group set up two committees – an Economic Committee and a Customs Committee. The Economic Committee was the predecessor of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), the Customs Committee became the Customs Co-operation Council (CCC).

In 1952, the Convention formally establishing the CCC came into force. The Council is the governing body of the CCC and the inaugural Session of the Council was held in Brussels on 26 January 1953.

Representatives of seventeen European countries attended the first Council Session of the CCC.
After years of membership growth, in 1994 the Council adopted the working name World Customs Organization, to more clearly reflect its transition to a truly global intergovernmental institution. It is now the voice of 174 Customs administrations which operate on all continents and represent all stages of economic development. Today, WCO Members are responsible for processing more than 98% of all international trade.
Their web site is at http://www.wcoomd.org/home.htm
 #699153  by n2cbo

Back in 1990, I traveled by train from (then) British Hong Kong to Bejing. We were pre cleared at the Main Hong Kong Station, and traveled across the border crossing at Lo Wo very slowly, as the train was inspected on the outside by border guards. At Shenzhen, the Chineese border guards that sealed the train on the inside detrained and we were on our way.
 #699169  by NS VIA FAN

Wonder how US and Canadian Custom/Immigration handled this one back in the 1960s......A CP RDC run from Montreal to Wells River, Vermont. Train left from Montreal and crossed into the US to serve Richford and Missisquoi, VT. Back into Quebec at Glenton then back into the US again at North Troy, VT. before reaching Wells River.......Six border crossings for a round-trip! Things were so much simpler pre 9-11.

(Train was originally a joint CP-B&M Montreal-Boston run)
cpbos.jpg
 #699201  by AgentSkelly

NS VIA FAN wrote:Wonder how US and Canadian Custom/Immigration handled this one back in the 1960s......A CP RDC run from Montreal to Wells River, Vermont. Train left from Montreal and crossed into the US to serve Richford and Missisquoi, VT. Back into Quebec at Glenton then back into the US again at North Troy, VT. before reaching Wells River.......Six border crossings for a round-trip! Things were so much simpler pre 9-11.

(Train was originally a joint CP-B&M Montreal-Boston run)
Well also in the 60s, the then US Custom Service was more concerned with the importation of goods rather than the people. The people of course was a different agencies problem. The situation was same with Canada too...Customs was a shared role of the Canada Customs & Revenue Agency.

Did the Alouette run with a Customs Car on the end? I don't see any notation of where inspection service might occur like other timetables from the same period?
 #1309591  by NeoArashi

Hello everyone. NeoArashi here. I usually lurks/post in the Via Rail boards, but I may need Amtrak users today.

I'm thinking on making a small 2-3 days trip to Plattsburgh. I would be leaving from Montreal. I never went outside Canada since 2005, which was before it became mandatory to have a passport to cross the border. I Have my passport, so no trouble here, but I'd like to know the procedures when crossing the border by train.

-I will definitely bring my wallet, thus all my I.D. on me, but if I need any extra ID, what kind of ID is accepted? (I am a bit worried here, as I don't have a driver's licence, and it's generally the most accepted piece of ID after the passport)

-Where does the border crossing procedure takes place? In Montreal prior/during the departure, directly at a stop on the border or upon arrival at Plattsburgh

-I just saw that the Montreal-Plattsburgh segment is a bit over 3 hours long, despite being roughly half (or was it 1/3?) the lenght of the 3 hours Québec/Montreal Via Rail segment. Does that mean that crossing procedure takes a long time?

Sorry for my possibly irrelevant questions. I just want to make sure I have everything I need before buying tickets.
 #1309599  by Backshophoss

There's no US Customs "pre clearance" at Montreal yet,untill the "Secure" platform is built,
there will be a stop at the border where US Customs will board and inspect the train and Passenger's
baggage and paperwork,and ask passengers questions,when done the train will be released and allowed
to head south. Note:figure on a wait at the border till US Customs is done,the same when heading back into Canada.
Both US and Canadian Customs will take their time doing their work,if all your paperwork in in order,should be no problems crossing.
Believe there's a crew change at the border from a Canadian crew to a US(Amtrak)crew.
 #1309603  by Noel Weaver

Backshophoss wrote:There's no US Customs "pre clearance" at Montreal yet,untill the "Secure" platform is built,
there will be a stop at the border where US Customs will board and inspect the train and Passenger's
baggage and paperwork,and ask passengers questions,when done the train will be released and allowed
to head south. Note:figure on a wait at the border till US Customs is done,the same when heading back into Canada.
Both US and Canadian Customs will take their time doing their work,if all your paperwork in in order,should be no problems crossing.
Believe there's a crew change at the border from a Canadian crew to a US(Amtrak)crew.
I wouldn't think you would have any problem crossing the border with simply a passport. Figure on a wait at the border both ways of maybe an hour or so. As for the Adirondack, the engine and train crews run right through between Albany and Montreal in both directions. This has been the set up for crews since these trains were established in 1974.
Noel Weaver
 #1309616  by MACTRAXX

NA:

We have been through this subject before - A common misconception on border crossings between the US and Canada is that a passport is required - it is only absolutely required if you FLY...

If you have a Enhanced License (NY, Quebec and Ontario all issue them) or ID card that would be sufficient to cross the border by land...

There is other documentation that can be used - NEXUS. and FAST. cards are examples...

Before your trip see: http://www.cbp.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. and http://www.cbsa.gc.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MACTRAXX
 #1309627  by ThinkNarrow

I'm sure that a passport will be sufficient documentation, but your avatar suggests you might be a student, so a student ID might be a helpful addition. You and your luggage will need to pass a "sniff test" from canine assistants who are interested in drug or explosive residue.
-John
 #1309628  by MACTRAXX

BSH:

You may be confusing the Adirondack with the Montrealer in that a CN crew operated that train from Montreal to St. Albans,Vermont and US Customs would get on at the border and ride to
SAB to perform their duties going southbound back when those trains ran...Noel is correct about the Adirondack train crews - They go from NY Penn Station to Albany and then Albany to Montreal...

NA:

The good thing about your Adirondack trip is that you will be on board the train for both border checks and you won't be stuck waiting someplace with the train being subject to delay because of Customs issues...

MACTRAXX
 #1309704  by Backshophoss

FAST(Fast And Secure Trade) is a program for CDL drivers useful for drivers that do cross border work on an almost daily basis.
Canadian drivers have a verision of FAST as well. Both US and Canadian versions are expensive and require mulitipe
background checks and renewed every 5 years.

Maxx,Via takes over the Maple Leaf at Niagara Falls,both T&E,and OBS crews change there,
believe the International,Chicago-Toronto,that used Amtrak and Via Rail equipment crew changed at the border as well.
Montreal is close enough to the border,for the Amtrak crews to run thru under NAFTA(+FAST) rules with #68/69.
(Crew can only run to Montreal,must return back to the US on the next train.)
Depending on the schedule for a revived Montrealer,figure on a crew change at the border for T&E crews.
 #1309721  by Noel Weaver

Big difference here. Trains 63 and 64 en route to Toronto from New York become Via trains at the border and thus they have a Via crew. Trains 68 and 69 on the other hand remain Amtrak trains all the way to or from Montreal and thus still have Amtrak crews in Canada. This dates way back to the D & H days when both the Laurentian and the Montreal Limited ran with one crew both for the engine and train sides between Albany and Montreal. To add to this in order to ride 63 to Toronto you have to have a separate ticket for the Via portion of the trip where as going to Montreal one Amtrak Ticket will do the job.
Noel Weaver
 #1309732  by lstone19

NeoArashi wrote:I'm thinking on making a small 2-3 days trip to Plattsburgh. I would be leaving from Montreal. I never went outside Canada since 2005, which was before it became mandatory to have a passport to cross the border. I Have my passport, so no trouble here, but I'd like to know the procedures when crossing the border by train.

-I will definitely bring my wallet, thus all my I.D. on me, but if I need any extra ID, what kind of ID is accepted? (I am a bit worried here, as I don't have a driver's licence, and it's generally the most accepted piece of ID after the passport)
Passports are pretty much the gold standard in identification anywhere in the world. If you have your passport, that should be all you need. In the U.S., when identification needs to be presented, a passport should be accepted anytime someone asks you for a driver's license or state or other ID card. There really is no need to have additional identification beyond a passport.
 #1309760  by Ken W2KB

lstone19 wrote:
NeoArashi wrote:I'm thinking on making a small 2-3 days trip to Plattsburgh. I would be leaving from Montreal. I never went outside Canada since 2005, which was before it became mandatory to have a passport to cross the border. I Have my passport, so no trouble here, but I'd like to know the procedures when crossing the border by train.

Passports are pretty much the gold standard in identification anywhere in the world. If you have your passport, that should be all you need. In the U.S., when identification needs to be presented, a passport should be accepted anytime someone asks you for a driver's license or state or other ID card. There really is no need to have additional identification beyond a passport.
In amplification of the above comment, a driver's license, however, is required to drive a vehicle, such as a privately owned or rental car in the USA.