Railroad Forums 

• Canadian Border Crossing General Topic

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#353770  by quadrock

Hey all. I was thinking about taking a 1 night trip to Montreal on the Adirondack from NYP and just had a quick question about the U.S. customs crossing.

Will they give me problems/detain me for staying across the border for less than 24 hours? Also, my U.S. passport expires April 16. I know some countries require a 6 month valid passport. Will I run into any problems going into Canada?

Thanks in advance.

#353774  by DutchRailnut

The passport rules just changed so check state dept site.

#353778  by quadrock

I checked and I am technically OK. What changed is that either on or after December 31, 2007, all U.S. citizens crossing into the United States on ground transportation will require a passport. Air travelers are already required to do so.

I'm still not sure about the valid-for-6 months thing to Canada. Anyone know?

#353823  by gprimr1

Amtrak might be able to help you, give them a call. 1-800-USA-Rail.

How long until the trip? Is renewing your passport feasible or not enough time?
 #353858  by wigwagfan

quadrock wrote:Will they give me problems/detain me for staying across the border for less than 24 hours?
People do this all the time (especially in some of the western Washington border crossings, like Point Roberts and Blaine) so as long as you don't give the customs/immigration agent a hard time (in other words, just plainly state what you plan to do) it won't be a problem.

This is Amtrak's official guideline for border crossings, although the State Department has changed its policies (as previously indicated)...
In General: Amtrak services that cross the US/Canada border are subject to inspection by Canadian and American law enforcement officials. If your trip involves an international border crossing, you must carry with you both:

Proof of citizenship, and
Proof of identity
The form of identification you carry with you on your trip should be the same piece of ID that you selected and provided details about when you made your reservation.

Please note you must carry the original, valid identification document. Copies, expired or otherwise invalid documents will not suffice. Each passenger must have his or her own ID.

US and Canadian Citizens: We strongly recommend that US and Canadian citizens carry a passport. Passengers without a passport, must have a certified copy of a birth certificate and current, valid government-issued photo identification.
And here is the word from the State Department:
Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.
 #353887  by NS VIA FAN

quadrock wrote:Will they give me problems/detain me for staying across the border for less than 24 hours? Also, my U.S. passport expires April 16. I know some countries require a 6 month valid passport. Will I run into any problems going into Canada?
Having lived in a border community: St. Stephen, NB/Calais, Maine. Crossing back and forth across the border (even a couple of time is one day) is a very common occurrence. For example: when we were kids, Calais had a McDonalds before St. Stephen and it was nothing for dad to take us over over for a Big Mac then right back to Canada. They didn’t even ask for IDs before 9-11. And depending on who had the cheapest gas at the time, Americans or Canadians would cross, fill up and head right back.

There are 70 Million Canada-US crossings a year so your overnight trip wouldn’t be out of the ordinary. (Note the info on rail travel in the last paragraph!)

http://www.bts.gov/publications/transpo ... sings.html

Currently a Passport is only required for air travel (as of January 23, 2007)

Proof of citizenship (birth certificate) and government photo ID (drivers license) are still fine for all land, rail and ferry crossings until at least 2008 and now 2009 is being mentioned.

(But check the US and Canadian Government web sites for more info.)

#353989  by CNJ

Currently, a passport is required only if you are flying.

It will be necessary in the future to have a passport for land travel, so my best recommendation to you is to renew your passport anyway if it is expiring.

#353997  by quadrock

Hey everyone. Thanks for all the replies. I sent my passport in today for renewal (I will delay my trip until April). I am a U.S. citizen through naturalization of my parents so a passport is pretty much the only way for me to go.

So I guess I have nothing to worry about going for less than 24 hours. I just read many a trip report that had some comment on the border crossing to the effect of "I saw entire families in my car being detained." But I'm guessing that's all people with improper documentation.

#354126  by umtrr-author

Based on my personal experience in crossing the US/Canada border, it seems that there are any number of variables that contribute to what "degree of intensity" your screening will be.

Since Amtrak trains are a well known method of crossing the border, that should be a factor in making your crossing relatively easy.

My suggestion is be clear and to the point with your answers to their questions. It will make their job easier.

Although sometimes I forget to follow my own advice. I crossed Canada from Detroit in a rented car, and when they ask me where I got the car, I was supposed to say "The United States" but what I actually said was "Hertz." The agent tried to stifle a chuckle...

#354662  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I just wonder how things will be when passports are required for ALL US-Canada travel-I just hope the Department of Homeland Bureaucracy and Canada's counterpart will make it somewhat easy to cross on Amtrak/VIA. I understand fully tightening border security but I could just imagine visiting tourist meccas such as Niagara Falls-even walking over the Rainbow Bridge could turn into a big hassle! I just find it interesting that one of the most friendliest borders in the world-Canada/USA will become not so much anymore-since much traffic crosses it I believe a userpass for regular crossers should be designed to ease the traffic problems-no matter HOW you cross it. On a rail standpoint thru rail service could be in jeopardy if this program is not instituted correctly. My two cents-MACTRAXX

#355559  by wigwagfan

MACTRAXX wrote:I believe a userpass for regular crossers should be designed to ease the traffic problems-no matter HOW you cross it. On a rail standpoint thru rail service could be in jeopardy if this program is not instituted correctly.
That exists today, it's called NEXUS. While it's not currently implemented on any of the rail corridors, I'm sure it could easily be implemented if demand warrants.

As for a "passport lite", so to speak, that is in the works, which will allow travel between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, the Carribbean and Bermuda.

#355694  by VikingNik

I flew to Germany for Christmas with a passport expiring in mid January. I had no problems other than the inane double security/passport check everyone flying to the states from Munich had to go through. Ugh.

#357821  by AgentSkelly

I am a self proclaimed master* of the Customs procedure on the Maple Leaf so I can shed some light here.

Everyone is on the ball here with the passport information. You do not at this time need a passport for land crossings of any kind, but however, I do strongly suggest you do get one since it makes both the job of the agents of US Customs and the Customs Canada much easier. I use my passport as my documentation and never have any problems.

Now, once in a while there is actually an Exit Inspection by US Customs at the last stop in the US before Canada. The reason behind this is because they are looking for someone specific who might be fleeing the country. They ask a few more questions than when entering but don't worry, its pretty quick once they figure out your not the person they are looking for. I have had this happen on me once actually; US Customs caught this this guy trying to flee the US on one of my Maple Leaf trips in the car back of me. The Conductor said he was wanted for something.
*there might be someone else that has that title, feel free to correct me :P

#358324  by jhdeasy

On the return leg of a NY - Montreal - Halifax - Montreal - NY trip in June 2004, I had MOUNT VERNON on the rear of Amtrak train 68, the Adirondack. The Amtrak Conductor has an empty coach ahead of us. I suspect the end door on the Amfleet I coach was closed, possibly at the head end of that coach.

We waited at Rouses Point for the officers to walk back to MOUNT VERNON to interview us, but we never saw them. The next thing I know, I see them getting in their vehicles and then we are slowly pulling out of the station. I walk out on the rear vestibule platform and give a little wave towards them.

I wonder if they realized they overlooked checking the occupants of an occupied private car?

I had my radio on my belt and assumed with a few minutes I would hear the CP dispatcher calling our engineer to come to a stop at such and such a location so that US Border Patrol could inspect the occupied private car (which they had overlooked) on the rear of train 68. That never happened, so we just kept rolling south.

#358336  by AgentSkelly

jhdeasy wrote:On the return leg of a NY - Montreal - Halifax - Montreal - NY trip in June 2004, I had MOUNT VERNON on the rear of Amtrak train 68, the Adirondack. The Amtrak Conductor has an empty coach ahead of us. I suspect the end door on the Amfleet I coach was closed, possibly at the head end of that coach.

We waited at Rouses Point for the officers to walk back to MOUNT VERNON to interview us, but we never saw them. The next thing I know, I see them getting in their vehicles and then we are slowly pulling out of the station. I walk out on the rear vestibule platform and give a little wave towards them.

I wonder if they realized they overlooked checking the occupants of an occupied private car?

I had my radio on my belt and assumed with a few minutes I would hear the CP dispatcher calling our engineer to come to a stop at such and such a location so that US Border Patrol could inspect the occupied private car (which they had overlooked) on the rear of train 68. That never happened, so we just kept rolling south.
FYI, Border Patrol is a different agency...US Customs is what does customs inspection...just a pet peeve.

But back on topic, I have heard a similar story once like this except it was 1984 and it was because Customs Canada thought the car was empty.