Railroad Forums 

• Illinois Amtrak Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1415869  by gokeefe

Yes, delivered as designed. They are much closer than anyone realizes.

Here is an update from a local TV station in Springfield, IL:
SPRINGFIELD – The high-speed rail project in the capitol city is almost ready.

Only $25-million dollars of work is left, with construction set to start in the spring. Safety and bridge improvements still need to be finished.

In total, the project costs nearly $2-billion dollars and the city expects it to be complete by the end of 2017.
 #1415926  by David Benton

Thanks George, had a quick scroll trough , but doesnt cover my confusion from afar.

"One of the advantages of the project would be that it would connect Metra's SouthWest Service to the Rock Island Line around 74th Street and Normal Avenue, which would allow the service to terminate at the underused LaSalle Street station rather than at clogged Union Station — eliminating delays and freeing capacity for more intercity rail service, according to IDOT".

I thought Grand Crossing was around 75th street and s south chicago street /I90 ?. I was sure this is where the CREATE maps put it , and the project is to provie a connection between the 2 main lines there.
In the above article they appear to be talking about a different / smaller junction.
 #1415929  by gokeefe

They are talking about a different one according to the map. Black triangle "P4" is Grand Crossing. "P2" and "P3" are 75th Street.
 #1415945  by David Benton

p4 fact sheet - http://www.createprogram.org/factsheets/P4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.amtrak.com/chicagogateway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, great videos.
 #1416081  by CHTT1

Grand Crossing involves connecting the CN's ex-IC route to the NS at 79th Street. This will allow the CONO, Illini, Saluki, and maybe the Cardinal to head straight into Union Station without a backup move at 21st St.
The 75th Street project eliminates congestion for freight trains and Metra's Southwest Service and allows for the construction of a short route to connect the Southwest line with the Rock Island so that the Southwest can use LaSalle Street station and the 47th Street yard, easing pressure on the south side of Union Station (and the BNSF/Metra yard and servicing facilities.
They are two separate projects.
 #1416106  by David Benton

Thanks CHTT1. Yes ,I see that. It appears P2 and P3 have to be in place, to create track capacity for the P4 project , i.e to allow the Amtrak Illinois trains to use the NS route into Union Station. So P4, the one that benefits Amtrak the most, will be the last passenger project.
 #1440833  by StLouSteve

Here's what I saw in STL Post Dispatch recently...sometime next year:

"Although the St. Louis-to-Chicago improvements are expected to be finished this year, exactly when the new 110 mph maximums actually will begin is hard to pinpoint, officials say.

It could be sometime next year, they say. But timing depends on testing of a new type of signaling system on the line, which Amtrak shares with freight trains."

Full article at:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/traffic/al ... dc20c.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1440868  by Tadman

Grand Crossing is where CN(IC) crosses under NS(PRR/NYC) at 75th street, immediately adjacent to the Chicago Skyway I-90. It was also the site of an armed skirmish between IC and LSMS, NYC predecessor.