Railroad Forums 

• Trip Report - Maine to Miami on Amtrak and Brightline

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1552362  by Mollie

Hi All

I just got done publishing an article about a trip I took from Brunswick, ME to Miami on the Downeaster, an Acela, the Silver Meteor and Brightline. Unfortunately there is still no travel from here (borders are closed) so it's a report on a trip from pre-COVID, but maybe of interest.

https://trainreview.com/article/explori ... i-by-train

I hope everyone is staying safe and well!
 #1552394  by electricron

Mollie wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:49 pm Hi All

I just got done publishing an article about a trip I took from Brunswick, ME to Miami on the Downeaster, an Acela, the Silver Meteor and Brightline. Unfortunately there is still no travel from here (borders are closed) so it's a report on a trip from pre-COVID, but maybe of interest.
Which border is closed?
 #1552408  by BAR

Thanks for a very interesting article. I have travelled the route from Brunswick to Miami. The control unit on The Downeaster is called a "cabbage" since it provides both a control cab and a baggage section. It took me a while to get to the starting point in Brunswick but not as long as it took you. May I ask where you started from and what route you took to get there?

All the best.

Bill
Williamsburg, VA
 #1552413  by David Benton

electricron wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:15 pm

Which border is closed?
From the lenght of the flight to Los Angeles, I would say he is from Australia .
 #1552436  by Mollie

electricron wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:15 pm

Which border is closed?
Excellent guess! Yes, in Melbourne. Our international borders are sealed shut (we're not allowed to leave without government approval which I've heard is hard to get) - Right now we're in a lockdown in Melbourne to fight a second COVID wave so we're only allowed to go 5km from home - Of course it's worth it and I support the efforts the Govt is making - but its challenging when you love travel!

Fingers crossed we can be back on the rails soon!!