Railroad Forums 

• Question for Amtrak Rensselaer-NYP Engineers

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1539776  by Amtrak706

I am pretty sure there are a couple of people on this forum who are engineers for Amtrak on the line between Albany-Rensselaer and NYC. I live in uptown Manhattan near the George Washington Bridge, and for years every southbound has sounded a long-long-short-long grade crossing whistle about 10-20 seconds out from that blind curve through the rock cut under the bridge. But recently (past 3-4 months, pre-corona) I’ve been hearing it less and less. Now almost half the trains I see don’t do it. New guys on the job who were never told to do this maybe? Or is there another reason you might know of? Not sure if there is an actual whistle post there or if it’s just habitual common practice.
 #1541621  by Amtrak706

Railjunkie wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:32 pm Unless there was a change in the bulletin should be still sounding horn. With the ACSES it enforces all the little speed changes through there, may simply forgot. Whistle post still up as far as I know.
Great info, thanks!