Railroad Forums 

• The case for freight locomotives as passenger power

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1539562  by Tadman

slchub wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:44 pmNo longer the case with PTC. PTC calculates braking efforts based upon both motors being on-line and running. This is a bummer as I loved isolating the lead. There are several places I would isolate when running the Auto Train between Sanford and Florence. That said, I would love to see some nice 6 axel units for the AT, but we don't have the mechanical facilities nor a turning point in Sanford for them. The wye is too tight for 6 axels on the Aloma.
Don't the brakes work the same and all apply regardless of if the prime mover is idled or loaded?

Also, if not, more proof that PTC is just the stupidest thing since huffing glue... a computer that can't recalculate some basic formulas.

Finally, if the wye is too tight, couldn't you run back-to-back instead of elephant style?
 #1539563  by DutchRailnut

With blended brake it uses dynamic brake to locomotive brakes and fades the air brake . with locomotive off line it will not work and give the train less braking .
 #1539578  by DutchRailnut

auto train is kind of red headed step child, as its one of kind and not likely to be repeated so kind of outside this conversation !!
 #1540414  by DutchRailnut

were in this conversation did I say anything about rules ?? I said the Auto train is red herring and will not be repeated (at other locations ), its a one of kind , and will never be expanded beyond two current terminals , Amtrak agreed to that in original purchase from Auto train.
your mind is working overtime on things I did not say ..
Last edited by mtuandrew on Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: ad hominem attacks