Railroad Forums 

• Where would $2b do the most good?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1537666  by gokeefe

There are two projects which have been discussed so far which I think make the most sense. Both address well known needs.

The first approach would be an expenditure which enhances future revenues. This would be replacing fixed tension catenary between on the NEC especially south of PHL. Allowing an increase in speed over one of the busiest corridors in Amtrak using existing equipment would be a huge step forward.

The second approach would free up future capital spending for other line items. This would be completing all outstanding ADA projects remaining. Amtrak owned stations would come first followed by government owned facilities and railroad or privately owned facilities last.

At this time I do not believe that Amtrak actually has $2B in outstanding ADA projects remaining. The number that sticks in my head is ~$450M. If true I would then take the remainder and put it into the wire project mentioned above.

Perhaps we could assume that this wouldn't be an option for whatever reason. So that would leave $1.55B for capital projects. My other working assumptions would be that the Gunpowder and Susquehanna Bridge projects are all paid for as well. Same with Portal. Let's also assume that Gateway and Penn Station are fully funded in whatever manner.

All of the above being true I would pay for the third and fourth tracks to Richmond. It is by far the most obvious opportunity out there right now. $1.5B might not get you all the way to Richmond and may not even begin to address Ashland but it's definitely a good start.