Railroad Forums 

• Another try at Acela non-stop service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1524245  by Arlington

There is also cachet to "super Express" that stopping at PHL would capture (along with a good chunk of added riders)
 #1524268  by bostontrainguy

Arlington wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:51 pm There is also cachet to "super Express" that stopping at PHL would capture (along with a good chunk of added riders)
They can use the term "Super Express" when they accomplish 3 hour Boston to New York and 2 hour New York to D.C. run times. Otherwise it's hyperbole.
 #1524269  by Suburban Station

ExCon90 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:20 pm
rcthompson04 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:08 pm How much time would the train lose if it stopped Philly?
Not much; I don't think they can exceed 30 mph or so through there even without stopping. But there's a cachet to "nonstop" which would be spoiled by adding a stop. Back when the Metroliners were introduced people would let a Regional go by and wait for a Metroliner (which would arrive at destination after the Regional!) because of the name.
that's true, there is some cachet that would be lost, it's just that there's enough ridership associated with giving it up.
 #1524270  by bostontrainguy

Suburban Station wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:18 am
that's true, there is some cachet that would be lost, it's just that there's enough ridership associated with giving it up.
You can argue that "Express" lost it's cachet when Amtrak initially named all of their Acelas "Express". Acela "Limited" would have been more appropriate. This new service could have been Amtrak "Express" or even "Non-Stop Express".
 #1524324  by Arlington

I'm just happy that Amtrak seems to have created for themselves a safe space for experimentation with peak-capacity increases via better utilization of the existing fleet.

Almost any number of tickets sold is a win, because all the seats on the trainsets involved were going 100% unsold because they were 100% not being deployed during the peak.
 #1524503  by Matt Johnson

Constant tension catenary installation is complete on the Princeton Junction stretch, but top speed is still 135 mph. Any word on whether the Acela will get a bump up to 150 there?
 #1524520  by Arlington

Maybe post a link (to the source of the "catenary work is completed" news) and then ask the "150mph" question again in the Acela Speeds thread?
 #1524739  by Greg Moore

Rumor has it, another non-stop is coming:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/amtrak-pl ... -new-york/
The nonstop Acela service currently operates with just one round-trip between New York’s Penn Station and Washington Union Station, but Amtrak plans to add nonstop trains in both directions during peak hours, CEO Richard Anderson said Friday during Amtrak’s fiscal year 2019 earnings call. In addition, it wants to expand the nonstop service north between New York and Boston South Station.
 #1524745  by bostontrainguy

Well I have to guess that this new plan must be using formally underutilized Acela equipment. So for almost 20 years they had equipment sitting around which could have been out there making money?
 #1524747  by electricron

bostontrainguy wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:46 am Well I have to guess that this new plan must be using formally underutilized Acela equipment. So for almost 20 years they had equipment sitting around which could have been out there making money?
Interesting point. But during the last 20 years Amtrak was evenly racking up the milage on all 20 train sets by parking those with the most milage and using those with the least milage. It's a valid way to extend the life of the trains, or at least extend their maintenance cycles.

New train sets are coming soon, they don't have to do that anymore. It is time to rack up the remaining milage as fast as they can, and extend major maintenance activities beyond their soon to be retirement dates. It is time to wear them out.
 #1524764  by ThirdRail7

Oh boy. Let's tackle a few things in this thread.
Arlington wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:06 pm I'm just happy that Amtrak seems to have created for themselves a safe space for experimentation with peak-capacity increases via better utilization of the existing fleet.
Define "better." You're squeezing out another trip but it comes at the expense of the equipment and the statements below must be considered.\:

bostontrainguy wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:46 am Well I have to guess that this new plan must be using formally underutilized Acela equipment. So for almost 20 years they had equipment sitting around which could have been out there making money?
Interesting point. But during the last 20 years Amtrak was evenly racking up the milage on all 20 train sets by parking those with the most milage and using those with the least milage. It's a valid way to extend the life of the trains, or at least extend their maintenance cycles.

New train sets are coming soon, they don't have to do that anymore. It is time to rack up the remaining milage as fast as they can, and extend major maintenance activities beyond their soon to be retirement dates. It is time to wear them out.
[/quote]

Exactly. You also left out the fact the Acela fleet has been in a constant state of overhaul for the last decade or so. They haven't had 20 sets potentially available for service at one time in YEARS. Additionally, capacity has been constrained through peak areas for YEARS. After the last interior refresh (and the ACELA fleet has probably been refreshed as much as the Amfleets despite the age difference) and the availability of the 4th track through the raceway, you now have a little more breathing room to make this work.

Additionally, you can now "run them to death," which has been the case for years.

gokeefe wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:05 pm Is the new substation complete as well?
It's been done for years.
David Benton wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:17 am Good point.Plus, there have been no major Acela failures for a few years now.
I'm not sure where you get this and this is what I meant above. The Acela sets break down left and right, however, most people paying casual attention to a message board wouldn't notice it. This is for the same reason that people don't seem to notice the rash of failures among the ACS fleet. They all look alike. Twropr and I were discussing the fact the 5 major Acela failures occurred inside of a 7-day span, just a few weeks ago.
However, when you terminate one portion of the route, run a makeup section on the other portion of the route and show it arriving on time, these things can slip under the radar.

Additionally, you still have three sets (if they are available) for protection through the day.
Arlington wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:06 pm Almost any number of tickets sold is a win, because all the seats on the trainsets involved were going 100% unsold because they were 100% not being deployed during the peak.
Well, define "win." This is something else that is lost. How many of these are new riders versus misplaces riders? Ridership is robust on the NEC and all hands are on deck. Amtrak recently published Acela ridership is up.

This is natural since you've pushed people to the Acela. The casual observer might not have noticed they cut the consists of the regional trains near these super high speed trains (183, 79, 134, 148 and 196). However, anyone with a timetable could easily see they cut an entire train (151) a few days a week, changed and extended the running time of the regional (111) that arrives WAS right before the new train. It has a snowball effect.

I've mentioned this before. When all of those new sets are in service on the NEC, you may find the presence of an adjacent regional train...lacking.

Finally, you really need to see the numbers for 2103, 2107, 2172, and 2122 to see what this train does to the adjacent Acela runs. In general, I'm not particularly impressed but if the marketing ploy and buzz generates interest, I'm all for it. As I mentioned in the overly merged Acela speed thread, somethings are" perfunctory" and some things are "sexy." Sexy sells.

Personally, I think it would work better if added PHL and positioned it 2170 and 2172. You'd really get a balance.