Railroad Forums 

• BWI to be rebuilt/reconfigured

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1370877  by ExCon90

Amtrak has adopted the practice of assigning 2 and 3 to the main through tracks, with 1 and 4 cropping up on the appropriate side when present; which will be the main through tracks if they're numbered 3-2-1-A?
 #1371038  by ThirdRail7

strench707 wrote:
TheOneKEA wrote:...However, the full scope of this improvement won't be realized until the condition of Track A north of Halethorpe is improved back to its original line speed of 80mph.
I was also wondering if work on Track A north of the new 4th main was a part of this project. I would suspect they would have mentioned that in the project outline but maybe since it would be an upgrade of existing track infrastructure, there would be no need and/or it come from a different budget.

Davis
It wouldn't take much to get this track back up to 80mph standards. Currently, it isn't really worth the costs of maintaining and inspecting it to Class 4 standards for the tiny length of the traffic, particularly since the last block in each direction is going to be at a slow speed, regardless.

TheOneKEA wrote:.Finally, it bugs me slightly that the tracks will be labeled 3-2-1-A instead of 4-3-2-1. Was any track south of FULTON ever labeled as Track 4?
This is so Amtrak can generally maintain a track designated 2&3 for the majority of the NYP-WAS route. Prior to Amtrak, the tracks were always 1-4, even south of Fulton. 1-4 ran from Bridge to Winans. At Winans, one track ended with two, three and four continuing to Vern Interlocking, where four track became 3 track, 3 track became 2 track and 2 track became 1 track. From Vern, you had 3-2-1 until you got to Patuxent where 1 track reappeared and four tracks ran to Bowie Junction. It also helped facilitate trains to the Bowie Racetrack. A keen eye can still see the right of way of the wye to Bowie Racetrack.
 #1530310  by Jeff Smith

$4.7 million renovation of BWI Rail Station adds passenger amenities but doesn’t fix leaky walkway roof: BaltimoreSun.com

hmmmmmmmm
Maryland officials debuted the renovated BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport Rail Station in a ribbon-cutting ceremony Tuesday.

The upgrades to the 40-year-old station — which offers MARC, Amtrak, bus service, and a free shuttle to the airport and Light Rail — include a larger passenger-waiting area with more seating, windows, electrical outlets and ticketing facilities, as well as a new concessions area and upgraded restrooms.

But the $4.7 million, 14-month renovation did not add wireless internet or improved cell service, passengers said, and the renovations did not extend to the covered walkway over the tracks, which had grime on the windows and wet-floor signs where puddles had formed from rainwater leaking from the roof Tuesday.
 #1530367  by STrRedWolf

Jeff Smith wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:25 pm $4.7 million renovation of BWI Rail Station adds passenger amenities but doesn’t fix leaky walkway roof: BaltimoreSun.com

hmmmmmmmm
The overhead bridge to Track 3 was out of scope for the station rebuild. I do agree, they could of added Wifi and better cell service. Where to put the cell tower, though...

They probably are waiting for the track expansion so they can just demolish the bridge after building the new one on a ultra-new station.
 #1530425  by scratchyX

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:33 pm
Jeff Smith wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:25 pm $4.7 million renovation of BWI Rail Station adds passenger amenities but doesn’t fix leaky walkway roof: BaltimoreSun.com

hmmmmmmmm
The overhead bridge to Track 3 was out of scope for the station rebuild. I do agree, they could of added Wifi and better cell service. Where to put the cell tower, though...

They probably are waiting for the track expansion so they can just demolish the bridge after building the new one on a ultra-new station.
Will the new platforms and Bridge be a copy of Halethorpe with platforms on the side, and express tracks in the middle? Or will there be platforms, so more than two trains can be served at a time?
 #1530441  by TheOneKEA

The plans I last looked at indicated that the extended Track A will be built outside the existing northbound platform, eliminating the level access from the street. This would leave Track 3 with its platform face, Track 2 with no platform faces, and Tracks 1 and A with platform faces. This would require a new crossover to be added at WINANS to allow the Amtrak services calling at BWI to switch to Track 3, then back to Track 2 at GROVE.
 #1530531  by Ken W2KB

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:33 pm

hmmmmmmmm

No need for a cell tower. Simply construct micro cells on light poles or the buildings. A tall cell tower would have far less capacity since the number of users per cellsite is much more limited as cell antenna height increases due to the greater cell size.
 #1530609  by STrRedWolf

TheOneKEA wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:41 pm The plans I last looked at indicated that the extended Track A will be built outside the existing northbound platform, eliminating the level access from the street. This would leave Track 3 with its platform face, Track 2 with no platform faces, and Tracks 1 and A with platform faces. This would require a new crossover to be added at WINANS to allow the Amtrak services calling at BWI to switch to Track 3, then back to Track 2 at GROVE.
From the EIS, it looked like Track 3 and 2 would get access via a new bridge north of the existing station. The old bridge will be demolished as the existing Track 1 platform would be moved.