Railroad Forums 

• Thanksgiving Week Extras

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#71014  by ryanov

Nov 24, 2004 02:47:17 PM
Due to an Amtrak power problem near Penn Station New York, trains are subject to delays in and out of New York.

#71060  by LI Loco

I was in NYP around 3 p.m. today. The Silver Meteor (2:15 departure) and Lake Shore Limited (2:50 departure) were reported delayed. The Crescent (2:50 departure) was boarding on Track 15, which is normally reserved for the Long Island Rail Road. Another Amtrak consist (Amfleet I) was sitting on Track 16. It's gonna be a long night. :(

#71062  by Gilbert B Norman

For what it be worth, I look out the window of my now-home office (I retired and closed my CPA practice last year} and note the white stuff coming down.

There will be fun-fun-fun "out at ORcharD Field" tonite; same for MiDWay.

#71094  by efin98

Gilbert B Norman wrote:For what it be worth, I look out the window of my now-home office (I retired and closed my CPA practice last year} and note the white stuff coming down.

We will gladly trade our rain out here in Boston for your snow :wink:

South Station and the upper NEC has been reported to be running great on local news reports and via live shots. And as a bonus the majority of video on the local NBC station has been of South Station's action, got to love watching a regional backing into the station with conductor on the radio :-D

#71109  by Gilbert B Norman

No NBC Local News reporters dispatched to CUS.

Guess "no news is good news".

#71120  by metrarider

efin98 wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:For what it be worth, I look out the window of my now-home office (I retired and closed my CPA practice last year} and note the white stuff coming down.

We will gladly trade our rain out here in Boston for your snow :wink:
Dunno about the western burbs, but downtown it's mixed rain and snow, not pretty... Mr Norman is right, ORD will be a mess. Time to take the train!

#71125  by pennstation

A terrible, terrible, terrible night for Amtrak.

I was booked on train 85 from NYP to PHL, which was scheduled to leave at 3:05, but left an hour and a half late.

The crowding in the station was getting to very uncomfortable levels by the time my train was ready for boarding. I can only surmise it got worse after I departed, unless the delays were eliminated.

The good news is that 85 did ok time wise after finally leaving Penn Station. I'm glad I spent the extra twenty bucks for business class. Still, I was very disappointed.

#71127  by AmtrakFan

This is bad the Airports are bad as well as Amtrak seems like no Transpertation system is working too well this year. I had to walk home in the snow today from School in the Snow a 1.5 Miles so I would take a rain today good thing there are no problems at CUS.

AmtrakFan

#71142  by Nasadowsk

The Empire Corridor was a mess inbound today, and the LIRR was starting to deteriorate shorly after 6pm.

Nice going, Amtrak...

#71146  by EDM5970

Not a good night for anyone, to say the least.

I just got back from two hours spent at Trenton station with my youngest son. 97, the Meteor, was due to depart Trenton at 3:14, but made it's stop at 7:40ish. It had to be recrewed, as well. At one point, the TV display showed maybe six or seven Amtrak trains delayed. NJT had it's share of problems, too, with at least one train cancelled.

The most unusual thing I saw was NJT 4600, leading five Amfleets; I didn't note the train number, but I believe it was a Washington train. (Hope that motor was fast enough-)

I hadn't been to Trenton since Morrisville opened. It took some getting used to, seeing westbound NJT trains continuing west.
 #71147  by Noel Weaver

Nasadowsk wrote:The Empire Corridor was a mess inbound today, and the LIRR was starting to deteriorate shorly after 6pm.

Nice going, Amtrak...
Indeed it is unfortunate to have these things happen on one of the peak
days of the entire year. It is all the better reason why the entire north-
east corridor needs a lot of repair and restoration work and improvements.
As I sit here in my place in south Florida, it is about 76 outside and a nice
evening although rain may come tomorrow. I keep hearing about bad
weather rain, snow and all that stuff around various places in the northern
portions of our country. All of this stuff in addition to the extremely heavy
travel affects all transportation systems so maybe an hour or two on
Amtrak out of New York, while not really acceptable, is still not too bad
either. I would rather spend my time waiting in Penn Station than on a
plane stuck at a gate or on a taxiway waiting to be de-iced or for other
conditions to ease before taking off. I would also rather be sitting in
Penn Station than any airport that I can think of.
Noel Weaver

#71150  by updrumcorpsguy

We didn't do too bad up here in the Northwest . The worst train was 1 hour late, and at least it was a Talgo set - not one of those "Toonerville Specials" they cobble together for the holiday :-)

To put things in perspective somewhat: I was in a meeting up in Everett today, and the drive back to Seattle (usually a 30-45 minute drive) took TWO HOURS. I-5 was a parking lot.

All in all, I'd much rather have been on the train.

#71166  by Robert Paniagua

Well, I'm sure things will improve for the better and by tomorrow, we should have normal service once again, barring anymore unforseen circumstances.
 #71186  by jp1822

Help me out on this one - I realize there were electrical power problems in NYP late this afternoon, but how does the Lake Shore Limited depart NYP 1 hour 40 minutes late, but the Silver Meteor departs NYP 4 hours and 30 minutes late?

For further reference, the Silver Meteor should have departed at 2:15 p.m. and the Lake Shore at 2:50 p.m. The Meteor doesn't rely on any same-day equipment turns any more. And on top of it, the Meteor could technically make-up time on the NEC from NYP to WAS, but still maitained the 4 hours and 30 minutes late. I am sure passengers are irrate. So what the heck happened to cause a 4+ hour departure delay? It's only going to get worse for the Metoer.

I passed through NYP at 3:30 p.m. today and things were definitely problematic. Amtrak has been experiencing sporadic electrical problems all week in and out of NYP.

Hope things improve for my trip to Montreal on Friday.....I won't hold my breath. Dreading getting stuck in a rundown Amfleet I that has climate control issues.

By the way - NJT was disastrous as well - took me 2 hours to get home. Should have only taken 1 hour tops.