• AEM-7 status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ApproachMedium

8th Notch wrote:I'm willing to bet half of the shopped ones have became organ donors to keep the actives in service. I remember running one awhile back that had the desktop from one of the DC's and the real bell.
You mean the 916, thats how it was made that way. They didnt borrow anything.
  by twropr

I understand that #908 rescued a MARC train on 12/30
Andy
  by ApproachMedium

908 was in marc service as of new years day.
  by train2

As of today 1-7, how many ex-AEM7s does MARC have in service. Wondering if its worth a day in MARC territory?
  by amtrakhogger

train2 wrote:As of today 1-7, how many ex-AEM7s does MARC have in service. Wondering if its worth a day in MARC territory?
At least one, the 946 was in MARC service today.
  by ThirdRail7

ApproachMedium wrote:at least 13 of them still are alive in the tracking system, 9 or 10 are functional on the road while the others are shopped for stuff like PTC mods etc.
Dutchman is right. Although thirteen track only 10 are still active.
aem7ac921 wrote:May I also ask what the status of the retired AEM-7s are? Which units have been scrapped and which units are still in storage? Thanks so much and Merry Christmas to all!
Only a handful of DC AEM-7s have been scrapped. Some of the sidelined Remans are stored serviceable while the rest of the Remans and remaining DCs are decommissioned, meaning they will not be used again. I am not giving out the numbers.
train2 wrote:As of today 1-7, how many ex-AEM7s does MARC have in service. Wondering if its worth a day in MARC territory?
Umm, they are still AEM-7s and MARC has two Amtrak units operating with an additional unit in protect. Their DCs haven't been used in some time, but they are still active...so far.
amtrakhogger wrote:
At least one, the 946 was in MARC service today.

Interesting thing about the 946 is reached its date, and it was put back in service. It's good for another 90 days. Its not the only one so it nice to see them kicking about. A new ACS is about to head east in the next few days, but this is the first one in quite some time. I supposed they need to keep the Remans around for a while longer.
  by ApproachMedium

940 was shopped to DC lastnight for bad IGBTs (power modules) on TM 1&2. Hopefully they take care of it and swap the modules out.
  by DutchRailnut

according to Amtrak Equipment desk its down to 9 units left.
  by Jeff Smith

Anyone else surprised CtDOT hasn't bought any? They're frequent visitors to the Thrift Store.
  by DutchRailnut

And what would they use them for Jeff after their coaches go to springfield line ??
  by Jeff Smith

It was more a tongue-in-cheek comment. But they could use them in conjunction with any Shoreliners they acquire when MNRR replaces their fleet on SLE out past OSB (New London and points east if they expand). They could also use them with same coaches (and they have excess coaches at least at this point, don't they?) for Penn Service upon that commencement. He!!, if they're hanging onto FL9's.
  by aem7ac921

DutchRailnut wrote:according to Amtrak Equipment desk its down to 9 units left.
May I ask if you know which units have been retired sir?
  by DutchRailnut

no specifics on numbers, or I would have posted them already.
  by amtrakhogger

The 917 and 919 in service today.
  by 8th Notch

DutchRailnut wrote:according to Amtrak Equipment desk its down to 9 units left.
Wow that many? I haven't seen or ran one since Thanksgiving....